60 GB 5G ipod or 64 GB Touch? Help from current Touch owners

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mpb2000, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

Ok, having almost 24 hours now to think about all of this, I need the help of some Touch owners. I don't upgrade ipods very often. I went from a first generation ipod (not touch, ipod) to a 60 GB 5G when they came out. Before the announcement, I felt like I was ready to upgrade again because we were finally going to get to my required 60 GB capacity.

Then no camera: disappointed, but still 64 GB.

Then, I couldn't decide whether or not to wait for the next Touch (could be a year away).

Then, I figured, screw it, I can live without the camera. I have a Powershot and an SLR. The camera on the touch would have been for those spontaneous moments I would like to capture when I don't have my Powershot on me (which is most of the time; I don't carry a camera around unless I know I'm going to need it). My cell phone camera sucks something awful, so that doesn't even count.

But now, all this talk about the ipod being a great gaming machine made me wonder, is it even worth it to upgrade from my 5G? First and foremost, for me, the ipod is a music player. Obviously, with the 5G, there isn't much more. I do use it for videos on trips, which is very nice, but I would never download movies or TV shows from iTunes even if I upgraded. I just convert shows I already own on DVD and put them on the ipod, stuff I watch repeatedly (family guy, seinfeld, etc).

So as far as music goes, the only difference would be an easier to use UI; nice, but not a good enough reason on its own.

Video, bigger screen; nice, but again, not a good enough reason.

Photos would be great on the Touch. I don't do that on my 5G because I just haven't gotten around to organizing my photos well enough, although I would if I got the Touch because it would be so much nicer to look at on that screen.

Next, wifi capabilities and the associated major apps (mail, safari, etc). I don't live in a major city or spend time in coffee shops, so I would pretty much be limited to using that when connected to my home network or that of family and friends. Nice, but how much use would this get?

Finally, and this is the big one, and the reason I'm asking for help: downloadable apps. I'm not that into games on the ipod. I would definitely buy some for the times I'm waiting for something, but I'm not going to sit down and play some FPS when I could just play halo. Obviously, there are a lot of great apps out there that are not games. Things that are probably really useful that I just would never think about. Have Touch owners that aren't gamers found themselves using apps a lot?

So do I sell the 5G while it's still working (the thing is 4 years old and I use it every day, but I've never had a problem with it) and buy the Touch or do I hold onto my $400 and stick with the 5G?

Wow, that got really long winded...

2. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Go for it

I would definitely upgrade. I was in your situation 1 year ago, except that I had the 30 gig video. All i got was an extra 2 gigs (actual formatted was only 29.5), but storage wasn't my main concern, so whatev. I can't imagine going a day without my iPod Touch. I'm a college student, so I always need my student email, look stuff up on Wiki, check webct (it's an online web-assist thing for all my classes where teachers post notes and discussion boards etc), use unit converter apps for my physics class, the whole nine. So if any of these things apply to you, don't hesitate. Oh, and the whole music/video playing, access to 75,000 apps and the envious "Hey, is that an iPod Touch?" comments are also cool.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's exactly what I thought, until someone gave me my first Touch as a gift. Then I discovered that the UI and the big screen was a much, much bigger improvement from the earlier iPods than I thought. It is indeed good enough reason to upgrade, even though you might not think so until you've had the Touch for a while. But use the Touch for about a week, then pick up an earlier iPod... You'd go, "I really used to use this?" :D

4. itouch22 macrumors newbie

There are alot of great apps out there. It all depends on what you are looking for. For word and excel documents you can get quickoffice, where you can create and edit word excel and transfer them back and forth between your laptop/desktop. That is just one example

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

I've got a 80gb 5G ipod and can't wait to upgrade to the 64gb ipod touch! The app store and the fact it has wifi really does it for me! And the larger screen is much nicer when watching videos. [​IMG]

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would say the bigger screen and the apps are worth the upgrading to.

7. McBeats macrumors 6502a

the touch is amazing... definitely get the touch

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

you will be surprised how much you browse on it.

9. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Solution found:

Bought a brand new 2nd gen 8 GB touch on ebay for $140 shipped. That should give me a nice taste of the touch, apps, etc., while keeping my 5G for my entire music library, and I'll wait for apple to bring something better to the table and then sell the 2nd gen touch and my 5G.

10. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I was going to say the Touch as well. I first got the Touch when they first released (who remembers that whole debacle with the early release at the stores and the terrible screen problems, I still say it was hardware related...). My first iPod was a 30GB Video iPod and I had that for two years before the hard drive physically crashed. I got a Nano and used that up until the Touch was launched. I got it when it came out and sold my Touch 3 months later and got a Nano thinking it would be best for me. After having the Nano for 4 months I decided to get an iPod Touch again!

I love my Touch and certainly wouldn't trade it for something else. I can do so much with it, heck I even found a use for Mind Maps at work! I am certainly going to upgrade to either the 32GB or 64GB one this holiday season (depends on sales). And giving my old iPod to my friend whom also has a 30GB iPod Video that is dying a slow death.

Glad to see you decided to get one, you will love it. If you get bored of it you can always Jailbreak it. I find myself Jailbreaking my iPod and then after a month going back to the original firmware (must faster and reliable than the jailbreak).

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd go with stick with the Classic. I use my iPod Touch as a browser and general PDA more than an MP3 player. I'm also not keen on the touch controls for music/video playback.
    Good call on getting the 8gb one for testing though. You may love the controls!

12. fernande-mac macrumors regular

Keep you rmoney and use the 5G iPod you have now until it dies. Then, look at the options available at that time.

I have a 3rd gen iPod 40GB that is still running fine. I have been looking at the classic and touch models for years, but I don't have a "need" to buy a new one right now. Always tempting, though. . .

So, I am using the $400 I would spend on an iPod touch 64GB to upgrade my PowerMac to MS Office 2008, Mac OS X Leopard, and a new 1TB-2TB external backup hard drive.

I will have a more up-to-date Mac and my iPod. When the iPod dies, then I will worry about what to get.

13. fernande-mac macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree. I like the physical controls for the music playback. Specially when you are driving. No need to be looking down to skip to the next song.