Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
anyone see the 60 minutes episode yesterday?

Tim Donaghy was interviewed (the ref who gambled on nba games)

anyways he basically said that refs hate and love certain players and will either call or not call fouls accordingly. Allen Iverson, for example, is hated among the refs and certain games refs would say before the game...I dont like that guy..lets show him a lesson tonight. Meanwhile, Kobe was generally loved by refs and they let him get away with more stuff. Of course this is was Donaghy said, but he worked with the FBI for a lighter sentence with the condition that any lie would break the connection, so I tend to believe him more than not believe him.

The interview also mentioned that refs were urged to extend playoff series and favor the big teams during playoffs in order to increase ratings.

I think i generally always thought wow this ref is gunning for this player, but to actually hear it be true was somewhat shocking.

the nba did not participate in the interview..they said no comment effectively. In the past they have said this ref is lying.

thoughts?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow, you should work for Fox News. Your sensational thread titles may lead to a promising career similar to that of screaming fire in a crowded movie theater when no fire exists.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Wow, you should work for Fox News. Your sensational thread titles may lead to a promising career similar to that of screaming fire in a crowded movie theater when no fire exists.

well..when i was watching it last night...i was thinking this is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to NBA PR. the guy basically was calling the NBA a sham (ok maybe generalizing a bit) but the refs do have a large impact on the games..and for them to use unfair practices and unethical behavior to decide games...that is huge for the NBA.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
well..when i was watching it last night...i was thinking this is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to NBA PR. the guy basically was calling the NBA a sham (ok maybe generalizing a bit) but the refs do have a large impact on the games..and for them to use unfair practices and unethical behavior to decide games...that is huge for the NBA.

Wresting is a huge sham and it has for reasons I will never understand a huge fan base.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wresting is a huge sham and it has for reasons I will never understand a huge fan base.

Alternatively, one could argue that wrestling is just an honest version of pro sports -- admitting brazenly that it is "sports entertainment" and that its adherence to the game has relatively little import.

I mean, after all, if one wanted excellent mechanics, one would watch college basketball, probably women's college basketball. The gamesmanship in the minor leagues has long been better than MLB. College football has much better pathos than the NFL. :p

(Of course, I'm just butting my nose in here... I don't watch sports much.)

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
In other news the sky was blue today.

One quarter of one NBA game is all it should take anyone to realize that the NBA needs to clean up it's act. Basketball is a great sport, but I can't stand the NBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.