$600 for a macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redairplane, Aug 10, 2009.

1. redairplane macrumors newbie

My friend is selling his macbook because he no longer needs it, for $600.00 according to mac rumors its the one released on 2/2008. And it is the middle model.
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)

Is this a good deal? He says he still has warranty on it. Is there a way I can return this one to the store and get a new one or will they give me a refurb? Thank you.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm lost by your last question, what do you mean get a refurb?

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Breaking and entering.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The price is less than half of what they went for new, IIRC, and it's still a usable machine, so it might not be too bad of a deal if you want it.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Check warranty with the serial number

Pretty good price IMO. What hard drive does it have and what is the condition?

Apple will not replace Macs unless they cannot be repaired and are covered by AppleCare. Keep in mind that AppleCare only covers defects not accidental damage, so running over the MacBook won't get you a repair, much less a replacement.

6. redairplane thread starter macrumors newbie

I ment that if I return this used one that my friend sold me; would apple give me a new one or a refurbished one?

7. redairplane thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry but what is IMO? The condition is very good. What does the apple care cover?

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

9. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Return it where?
    You can only return the laptop within 14 days of original purchase if I'm not mistaken... 30 days max.
    Applecare would cover any defects that aren't user caused (eg your optical drive goes... your track pad, etc)

You can't just buy a used computer, return it to Apple, and get a new one. For that matter, you can't buy an old, used product of any type, return it and get a new one.

10. redairplane thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry I'm a newbie. :)

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Wrong. A dollar (or any currency for that matter). ;)

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you buy the computer from your friend the only way Apple gives you something is if it breaks while it is still under warranty. You can always extend the warranty as long as you purchase Apple Care within a year from when your friend purchased it. You are getting a good deal.

13. redairplane thread starter macrumors newbie

If I do purchase it, can I register it under my name? example: computer name and apple care warranty.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple Care is tied to the serial number, not a user. So yes, just make sure you find out when the computer was purchased because if Apple Care is not purchased within a year from the purchase date you are out of luck. I highly recommend going to the Apple Store and speaking with a rep. there given the amount of questions you have and the amount of sarcasm they are going to get from users.

Where'd that story about the 2004 Jetta and CRT monitors go? ;)

15. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

that'd be AWESOME if you could
    "hey ive got this used chocolate bar, can i return it angd get a new one?"
    "ive got this used gift card, can i return it and get a new one?" :D

16. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Only if you are the one who purchases the AppleCare. If not, you can transfer the warranty to your name by calling AppleCare or visiting an Apple Store. You will need the original holder of the warranty to do the transfer though.

Please use the tool I linked to earlier to make sure that you can even buy AppleCare for the MB. If it has been a year or more since it was bought, you cannot, no exceptions.

17. redairplane thread starter macrumors newbie

kool. thank you. I'll have him come with me to the apple store.

18. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Good plan. You can have the warranty checked there and possibly buy AppleCare for it (pending expiration).

19. redairplane thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHO8l-Bd1O4 I might be late to the party though considering this is a apple forum. lol

20. omarjk macrumors regular

redairplane, perhaps the oddest things com out of the mundane, and that is one of the strangest questions I've heard on the whole internet - with an even better justification ('newbie').

I think you've shocked the community. You are a diamond!

21. omarjk macrumors regular

To help fulfil the aim that you had when you begun the thread, I use the very same laptop and it...is...good.