$600: iPad or Put Towards MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vorbb, Aug 27, 2010.

1. vorbb macrumors member

Hey guys,

My parents said they'll spend $600 on me as a graduation gift. Kinda ridiculous, and I'd rather they didn't, but... You know.

Anyways, here's the vital information:

- I work full time, and make about $1500 a month, so I can afford the Macbook regardless of me choosing it or putting the $600 towards a Macbook.
    - I plan on getting an iPhone 4 in the very near future.
    - I love gadgets.
    - I can't think of exactly what I'd use the iPad for, but I still kinda want one.

Do you guys think I should get the iPad, or wait a bit and get a 15-inch MBP, all blinged out?

Is the iPad worth it if I'm gonna be getting the iPhone within the next month anyways?

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Id say grab the computer first.

That being said I have all three of those gadgets and use them all daily. I love them all.

3. fluffybunny88 macrumors newbie

We would need a little bit more info in your proposed usage for either device. The ipad is primarily a consumption device. A macbook pro would be more used for creation and things like that.

I have both and enjoy using my ipad for looking at pictures, browsing the internet, and other things like that. It is especially good as a couch or lounging in bed device.

Give us a little bit more info on your proposed usage and we can help a bit more.

4. 184550 Guest

IMO the iPhone 4 and iPad would be overkill assuming you'll still be getting a MBP.

Personally, I'd use the $600 and put it towards 1) Upgraded MBP 2) a nice additional monitor 3) External HD/ data back-up system 4) Nice speaker system (assuming you're into music)

5. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

Basically, I'm taking a year off, so for the next year or so I'm not going to be doing much creation. I'll be going to university next year, however, majoring in Economics, so I might be doing a bit more then.

I'm kinda leaning towards the iPad as right now I don't have any portable computing device and a really crappy desktop (i.e. incapable of even watching youtube videos), and I think it'd make more sense to buy the laptop closer to when I'm going to school so I can have the latest technology instead of year old technology.

Wow, run-on scentence, sorry.

6. yoyomaster macrumors regular

You won't be doing too much with your computer in undergrad economics. The most you might do is have to use excel, SPSS, or SAS for an econometrics course, mostly just word docs.

7. undercompensate macrumors member

The ipad looks really nice, but I'm leaning toward the second poster's opinion.

Ultimately, the ipad is kind of a luxury device. All of my friends, who are fellow students and have ipads, already have laptops. They may carry around the ipad because it's lighter and more portable, but they ultimately do their classwork on a mb or mbp.

Then again, I'm biased because I love my mbp and iphone ;)

8. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Personally I have an MBP and an iPad 3G; I use the latter far more often. With the keyboard dock it's very useable for document creation at home, and

1) having a cell connection to the internet everywhere is nice
    2) it's light enough that you really don't mind carrying it anywhere/everywhere. Any thought you have on go you can capture, rather than hoping you can wait until you get home
    3) wonderfully long battery life, you really don't have to carry a charger with you.

Personally, I'd say that you should get the iPad now, and get an iMac or Macbook w/ the extra you'd spend to get the MBP, when you are about to start school. You get the new iteration of technology, but more importantly you have the iPad during the interregnum, and can enjoy the interface (which really is a revelation).

9. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I would have to lean towards a MBP first. The iPad will be a great addition once you need it, but I like the full version of the Macbook over the simplified iPad. I have a MBP, would like to get an iPad in the future, but I am waiting to see what happens with the second rendition.

10. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

11. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

If you WILL buy an iPhone 4 you DO NOT need an iPad.

Put the money towards a MBP and than buy the iphone whenever you're ready.

12. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Here's another vote for the MBP. Both are awesome but the MBP is all encompassing yet portable (13") and the iPad will likely be revised first (and sooner).

13. willieva macrumors 6502

Having an ipad an a mbp is an awful lot of money for 2 devices that overlap in functionality. If an ipad meets your needs for portable computing device you might want to consider getting an ipad and an imac. The two would cost about as much as a 15" mbp.