$600 MacBook Pro - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacTCP, Oct 9, 2008.

  1. MacTCP macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #1
    I was offered a mint in box 2.4ghz penryn 15" MBP with all original accessories and 4GB RAM + AppleCare for $600. Is it worth it? I have heard the nVidia chips are faulty. :confused:
     
  2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #2
    Its either stolen or a scam.

    That lot is worth $2500.
     
  3. MacTCP thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #3
    Wow. This is from someone I found on Craigslist who apparently just moved to UK. Now, it does seem a bit like a scam if I think about it.

    Hello,

    My name is REMOVED and I am now in Manchester, United Kingdom.
    The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested.
    This Macbook Pro was ordered brand new directly from Apple on March 8, 2008. The laptop works perfectly and it has never had any problems. Included in the $600 price is everything (right down to the original box that FedEx shipped it in) with the order from Apple (manual, cleaning cloth, etc). The laptop has almost 3 years AppleCare coverage until March 2011.
    One important thing is that the laptop is a US version so the software is for the US and also it doesn't need a power converter.
    I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop, and I hope we can work out a deal.
    Just to make sure we are on the same page, I am selling the 15" MacBook Pro, with 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb memory, 200 Gb HD for $600 USD.
    Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop and if you are interested in buying it.

    Thanks,
    REMOVED


    There were photos of the things and System Profiler too. Does it seem fake?
     
  4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #4
    There's a 99% chance it's a scam. If he won't meet locally, raise that chance by 1%.
     
  5. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #5
    Tell him you don't trust Craigslist and for both of your safety to take a picture of his pinky pointing at the label under the battery. Just so we know it's his computer and all.

    And oh ask for the serial number to confirm the AppleCare.
     
  6. MacTCP thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #6
    They apparently lived near me [in USA] two days ago. I think this is a scam. Also, they posted ads on many different lists, all with different photos. I am sure it is a somewhat convincing scam. I will not give in.
     
  7. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

    ZachsMacDaddy

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    Location:
    Maryland
    #7
    Definitely a scam. They pull that BS all the time all over Craigslist. I got that email back about a cheap Macbook earlier this year and they still repost Macbooks and MBPs all the time.

    It's been discussed here on & off for a while. It's getting to where you just almost have to assume that 90% of even Craigslist computer (and car) sales are scams.
     
  8. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    #8
    Anyone could sell a Macbook pro in the UK for a good amount, US keyboard or not, and a darn sight more than $600. Why would he advertise back in the US? As the others have said, obvious scam.
     
  9. fxstb2002 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2008
    #9
    There are tons of posts about this same scam in the archives here. All with same MO - Craigslist and just moved to UK.
     
  10. G5power macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2005
    #10
    Instead of sending the $600 to the scammer err advertiser. Send it to me instead.

    I promise that I'll at least send a thank you note. I'm pretty sure that the guy on Craigslist won't do that. :)
     
  11. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #11
    Send me the link...

    Send me the link... I'll buy it.

    Worth the $600. Hopefully somebody just wanting half the money towards their new MacBook.

    I would buy two or three MacBook Pros at $600 each. My current MBP is going to be my new Windows coding computer. Just as soon as I get my NEW MacBook Pro. I have two or three uses for old MacBook Pros... Send me your MBPs and I'll send you $600.
     
  12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
  13. peapody macrumors 68040

    peapody

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    baltimore, md
    #13
    Did you not read the previous posts?

    SCAM! I had the same exact post as this just a few months ago. UK and all.
     
  14. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

    mgridgaway

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    #14
    Confirmed Fake. I got this same exact email at least 10 times when I was asking around for an iBook. Don't waste your time. Unless they're willing to meet locally (and even then bring a friend and do it at a public place) or willing to send you the computer before you pay, it's a lie.
     
  15. MacTCP thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #15
    Hello

    The laptop will come with everything in the pics, case, mouse, disks.
    I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop within 3-4 days.
    Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
    I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the laptop in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a worldwide delivery company DHL, and they will provide assistance in hadling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
    With this procedure you will have the change to test the laptop before I receive my payment.
    The procedure is explained on the DHL webpage and please click on the link below to the DHL website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company.
    http://www.dhl.co.uk/publish/gb/en/services/log_services/air.high.html
    Let me know


    They are good! However, I will not accept.
     

Share This Page