6000RPM to keep MBP's 9600 working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Akzel, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Akzel macrumors regular

I had two system crashes this week, my first time dealing with kernel panic too. Both times I was using the 9600 from my MBP. Apparently from what I noticed it was too hot.

I did some research on the 'net and apparently Firefox could be the culprit, but I have my doubts a simple browser could crash a linux system, maybe I'm just too naïve?

I noticed it was quite hot, even if I weren't doing anything intensive, so maybe I should just pump the fans to 6000rpm to keep the 9600 sane? Has anyone had a system crash while running the fans that fast and (theoretically) keeping the 9600 cool?

2. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

I would say if you're getting system crashes while using the 9600 that something is wrong. I would contact Apple about it.

I regularly game under OS X using the 9600, and I do not use any 3rd party fan software. I figure that this is a professional product; it's designed (or it should be designed if it isn't) to withstand heavy graphics-intensive work. I trust Apple to know more about fans and cooling than I do. I just use the machine. It always stabilizes around 75ºC with the fans at ~3500RPM. No problems or crashes yet.

I have heard of people's fans not working correctly on their own after messing around with SMC fancontrol. I don't trust it on my system, frankly. In any event, keeping the fans at 6000RPM will wear them down faster. Eventually they will fail.

--mAc