60fps NHL highlights & screen saver problem

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by OddyOh, Mar 1, 2013.

1. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Hi. Having weird issues the past couple days with my ATV3.
    When I watch NHL highlights in the morning, the video randomly suddenly changes frame rate. It looks very smooth, like a doubling of frames or something. It's not fast forwarding, and the audio stays normal. it stays like that for a few minutes, then goes back to normal.

Issue #2 is I was watching the 3rd period of last nights Leafs-NYI game, and the ATV stopped responding to its remote control, even the iPhone 'Remote' app couldn't do anything.

A couple mins later, the screensaver kicks in...but the audio from hockey is still going!

So strange. Anyway, I had to unplug it to get it to stop, and I plugged it in again and it booted up normally, but i had to go to work. Will try it tomorrow.

Anyone seen these issues? Thanks.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    :apple:TV can't play 60fps well. It will try but it will yield judder for scenes where lots of pixels change frame to frame (like sports). :apple:TV only plays 30fps (everything else including 24fps and >30fps will be converted to 30fps) and may play well (though I've never got 60fps to work very well at all).

3. OddyOh, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

OddyOh thread starter macrumors regular

OddyOh

You are correct...I probably should have said "it looks like 60fps" in relation to how smooth it is...the reality is NHL barely streams 20fps on a good day, from my experience.

Question is...why would the ATV do this?

Update: Ok, tried it out, seems fine now. Just needed a reboot I guess.