60fps query...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Jul 22, 2011.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have just cocked up my lightroom library for my photo's so have decided that even if I have an inkling of doubt from now on I will ask someone else otherwise I might ruin something again!

Basically I am filming a lot of clips with the aim to making a summer 2011 video. This will just be used for family, friends etc and I was thinking about recording every clip at 720p60 on a canon 600D to have the option to slow it down if I want.

A lot of the action will be unprepared and not really "retake" sort of footage so I would rather be safe and capture it!

When playing back 60fps it looks unnatural and I was wondering if when I had sorted all my clips out if I converted the ones that I wanted to playback in realtime to 24/25fps in cinema tools would they look the same as though I had recorded them at 24/25fps at 720p?

Thanks

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

You've used a couple of terms that seem out of place.

Does 60p at 1/60th shutter look "unnatural" to you? I can appreciate it looking "unmovie-like" to someone used to 24p at 1/48th, but I wouldn't describe it as unnatural.

Do you mean "realtime"? Or do you mean slow-mo? Cinema Tools will only speed up or slow down the frame rate, it won't remove or interpolate frames.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well it does look odd to me at first. But then I am used to watching a lot of 24/25fps stuff.

Sorry I had a bit of a mind blank there and forgot that it wouldn't remove the frames.

What would be the best application for getting it to playback in realtime at 24/25fps?

Thanks

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Compressor. But how it ends up looking will vary clip to clip.

You need to consider shutter speed. If you shot 50p at 1/50 and played it back the video would look as football does. If you opened that file in Compressor and set the frame rate to 25p but left frame controls off, Compressor would ditch every second frame and you be effectively left with 25p at 1/50th. This would look like a movie. But any slow-mo footage you made would not share this look.

I've heard mention of software that can add simulated motion blur but I'd imagine it'd be hit and miss as to whether it would look realistic.

(It's at times like these when it can be more helpful to think of shutter speed as shutter angle, as they do in the film world.)