60fps to 30fps for Slow Motion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LillieDesigns, May 30, 2011.

1. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I shot some footage this weekend in 60fps and intended to bring it down to 30fps for the smooth slow motion effect.

My Cinema Tools program won't open and my install disk is 3,000 miles away at school - AWESOME.

I've searched high and low on the web and found a program called QT Sync, spent hours changing all my clips frame rates one at a time and when brought into FCP they are all back to 60fps again..........

So now my brain is melting.

Does anyone have a working method of converting 60fps footage to 30fps (hopefully in some kind of batch format)? I'm a student with no money so I'm looking for the absolute cheapest option possible.

Thanks! :apple:

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Put your clips into their own sequence in Final Cut, apply your time changes, and export from that sequence as a QT movie. Then re-import that export into a new (30fps) sequence, and you'll get the slow-motion effect.

3. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

Can you clarify what you mean by 'apply your time changes'?

Thanks!

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

If you just want to slow your 60fps footage to 30fps (50% speed), it's really easy. Take all of your 60fps footage and put it in it's own sequence. In that sequence change all the clips' speed (apply time change) to 50%. Export the sequence as a QT movie, and when it finishes, import that QT movie back into FCP and put it into your original 30fps timeline.

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Just as a side note.

You can get away with slowing them down to 24fps. Sometimes even less depending on how picky you are.

That will squeeze that extra bit of slowness out of your sequence!

6. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Slow it down in Final Cut... Forget Cinema Tools...

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Compressor has a retiming tool and I think that would work better than doing it in FCP.

Lethal