Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Courtnie said:
Am I the only one here who hopes it is not a touch screen iPod? To me that just seems stupid – you would ALWAYS be cleaning finger prints off it!

I sure hope that even after this 'new' iPod is released they keep selling the 'older 60g'. I want one of the 60g iPod Videos but I figured I would wait the two weeks to see what the 'new' ones are and if they are touch screen then I want to be able to buy an old one!

I seem to remember someone bringing this up previously, and I echo the sentiment: should the rumored touch screen video iPod emerge next month, I think it will augment the iPod line rather than completely replace the 5G. Even if the 60 GB isn't available any longer, there remains the possibility that the 30 GB (or higher) sticks around as a discrete product.

Another possibility is that the 60 GB will see a higher capacity, and it not going to be "end of lifed" in the sense that it'll just get a new HDD (although I think that's unlikely).

Courtnie

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
BC, Canada
I could buy an iPod now - keep it in the box for two weeks and return it if something better comes out! But I don't think I have enough self control to leave an iPod in a box!

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Well, I was planning on selling my "Still-Shrinkwrapped-Never-Opened" 2GB iPod Nano along with my 30GB 3G iPod to get a 60GB iPod 5G, but I guess I'll be waiting a little longer.

Tims96

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
yg17 said:
Dammit, my new iPod is already going to be obsolete

I know what you're saying. It's unfortunate that the current 5G 60gig models won't be the top of the line iPod, but I wouldn't call them obsolete. They're still great products. Unless you're one of the many people who must always have the best of the best, an iPod upgrade really doesn't have too much of an affect.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
millypede said:
I have to say stock has been a little tight recently across the entire range, I have not seen a 1g Shuffle since Christmas

i have, infact i bouught on in Jan(but that was online) however the wait was not long

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
Knock, knock..............................who's there?

MitchellB said:
Let me be the first to say it - Powerbook G5 coming in April!!!
Anyone else tired of this over-used 'joke'? (I use the term 'joke' loosely, because it's not funny...never really was funny...and never will be funny).

I am, however, getting rather excited about the buzz of rumour activity (right on schedule)...I would like to see the current 60gig ipod with video replaced by the much rumoured and mocked up video ipod...60gig ...same price?

I doubt it...not sure about the extra cost of 3x the screen with touch technology...plus the extra software vs the savings of a bit of plastic and click wheel hardware...

My guess is it will be about $50 more than the current 60gig ipod.

Oh yeah...the only G5 powerbook you are going to see is your power PC G5 imac with batteries and a power inverter mounted to the base...make your own!

pcmeissner

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2005
Macrumors said:
"at risk" list.
I'm relatively new to the rumor sites, but I have never heard of an "at risk" list. With all of these recent upgrades to minis, powerbooks, and imacs wouldn't I have had heard of this term? Has anyone on the forum ever heard of this "at risk" list? And most importantly, is the iBook on this list. ;) :D

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
MattyMac said:
I have a 4g but im itching to buy this potential 6g...eventhough I dont really "need" it.

Tell me about it. I get a new iPod WAY TO much. Perhaps i should just use my 1G, nope i got to have my "Full iPod"(read 60Gb iPod), "My small but still has a screen"(read Nano), quick on the go iPod(read Shuffle) and my ''old its ok if it gets a little hurt iPod(read 1G iPod, however i care about it as much as the other ones)

Wow i really need to scale down!

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
You Can Do It!

Courtnie said:
I could buy an iPod now - keep it in the box for two weeks and return it if something better comes out! But I don't think I have enough self control to leave an iPod in a box!
Oh, come on! This is a great opportunity to practice self control (you don't learn it unless you put it into practice)...and help Apple empty existing stock...think of it as though you are doing them a favour.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
pelcinary said:
A few things.

1. Updates don't make your iPod obsolete, no matter how frequent. Does next years car model make last years obsolete? I don't throw my car in the trash just because every year they come out with a new one. My car is just fine, and so are all 4G/5G ipods.

Not entirely true. While most 3rd party vendors have been good about compatibility, the old iPods with the Firewire port are pretty much obsolete. Even more recently, the interface that used to be built into the top with the headphones on the 3G iPod is now obsolete as that interface has disappeared, and as well the new FM tuner/remote only works on 5G iPods.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
"Tell me about it. I get a new iPod WAY TO much"

I feel your pain.
I've got a 1G 5gb, a 512 shuffle, a 4GB nano, a 60GB Photo and a 60GB video.. gave my 4GB mini to my GF who is now my wife.
With Videos and purchased AACs, my collection is at 101GB, so no single iPod will replace the 2 60s. I'll wait.

Z

Austin.xstone

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
New Zealand - Ohh Yeah...
zac4mac said:
"Tell me about it. I get a new iPod WAY TO much"

I feel your pain.
I've got a 1G 5gb, a 512 shuffle, a 4GB nano, a 60GB Photo and a 60GB video.. gave my 4GB mini to my GF who is now my wife.
With Videos and purchased AACs, my collection is at 101GB, so no single iPod will replace the 2 60s. I'll wait.

Z

Do you think she is your wife because you gave her the iPod? - no wait she must love you...

Anyway IF a new ipod comes out ill have to sell my one and get one!
Thats after the MacBook though... :eek:

coreybox

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2005
janstett said:
Not entirely true. While most 3rd party vendors have been good about compatibility, the old iPods with the Firewire port are pretty much obsolete. Even more recently, the interface that used to be built into the top with the headphones on the 3G iPod is now obsolete as that interface has disappeared, and as well the new FM tuner/remote only works on 5G iPods.

They are not 'obsolete' though. They still do the exact same thing they were bought to do. You might not be able to do all the newest/coolest stuff..... but they still work like they are suppose to. When a new ipod comes out it doesn't suddenly make the previous generations useless.

peace
corey

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
MitchellB said:
Let me be the first to say it - Powerbook G5 coming in April!!!

this is becoming a tradition! We'll be saying this even in 10 yrs when Apple is coming out with quad quad 64bit AMD Mac Book Pros and people will still stare at us like we are star trek fans....:cool:

About the ipod update, I hope Apple only ups the capacity and maybe some software features to keep the ipods selling and then in november come out with the real video ipod. You want to come out with the next big ipod b4 christmas otherwise it will be old at that point. So yes, you guys can call me crazy b/c I want Apple to hold off on the video ipods! Maybe I am looking at this in a different light b/c I own alot of Apple stock. As for the Macbook, its a must. I'm sure there is some other unknown products coming out considering its the 30th anniversary, lets hope for a special edition mac and ipod!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I wish these people who whine about "But I bought my iPod two months ago, I don't want it obsolete", would just quit. They don't understand technology, obviously. What do they want Apple to do - sit still and stop improving the iPod for their ego?!!!!

I bought my G5 iPod in November. I hope apple come out with a new iPod,
Apple must stay ahead of the game. I'm looking forward to Apple's next iPod - I probably won't buy it... my existing iPod will work just as well, as does my 2G iPod.

grimmcwh

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
You know, a full screen iPod has the advantage of supporting a higher and widescreen format resolution which would coincide perfectly with an iTunes Movies launch. There's no way I'd pay $9.95 for a movie download to watch it at the current super pixelated resolution (very noticeable on a 65" HDTV).

Of course, I'd rather a streamable subscription service than buying the actual movie, but alas.. that's another topic earlier addressed.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
As long as Apple revises the surface material so it doesn't scratch like a b!tch, all will be well.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
coreybox said:
They are not 'obsolete' though. They still do the exact same thing they were bought to do. You might not be able to do all the newest/coolest stuff..... but they still work like they are suppose to. When a new ipod comes out it doesn't suddenly make the previous generations useless.

peace
corey
Well, by that definition, is there anything that does become obsolete. My family has a old Gateway 2000 computer, a whopping 75mhz! It still does what it was bought to do, so that must mean it is not obsolete. We also have Compaq that doesn't even turn on. That I call broken, not obsolete.

Edit: The definition of obsolete via Dashboard reads: 'no longer produced or used.' Does Apple still produce 4G iPods?

gregarious119

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Reading, PA
Stella said:
I wish these people who whine about "But I bought my iPod two months ago, I don't want it obsolete", would just quit. They don't understand technology, obviously. What do they want Apple to do - sit still and stop improving the iPod for their ego?!!!!

You're totally right. And when you think about it...come April 1, the 5G iPod will be 6 months old. 6 Months on one product line may seem even long to some people. If Apple can get away with updating the iPod product line every 6 months, they'll be in good shape.

April 1 update - just as we expect. Next 6 months: November...prime time for holiday sales.

Makes sense to me.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
A tradition that should die!!!

The "G5 powerbook next tuesday" 'jokes' are getting very stale.

Enough!!! :)

Anyway, why would anyone want a G5 PowerBook when the Intel Duo would p?ss all over such a G5!!!

DPazdanISU said:
this is becoming a tradition! We'll be saying this even in 10 yrs when Apple is coming out with quad quad 64bit AMD Mac Book Pros and people will still stare at us like we are star trek fans....:cool:

About the ipod update, I hope Apple only ups the capacity and maybe some software features to keep the ipods selling and then in november come out with the real video ipod. You want to come out with the next big ipod b4 christmas otherwise it will be old at that point. So yes, you guys can call me crazy b/c I want Apple to hold off on the video ipods! Maybe I am looking at this in a different light b/c I own alot of Apple stock. As for the Macbook, its a must. I'm sure there is some other unknown products coming out considering its the 30th anniversary, lets hope for a special edition mac and ipod!

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
If they do introduce a "TRUE" iPod Video, I hope they include FireWire support this time. 80GB of movies transfering over USB 2.0? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.