60GB OCZ Vertex worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freddy-b, Jan 5, 2011.

1. freddy-b macrumors regular

Wat up?

I got 2 60GB OCZ vertex's in raid0 on my desktop and i am willing to put 1 in my MBP.

but iam not sure if its worth it.

then i would have to get a external HDD case and put my MBP HDD in it..

What do u think of this radical idea?

Thanks,
    freddy-b

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

"Worth it" depends entirely on things personal to your needs and usage. With absolutely no other information to go on, the answer is: If it works for you, go for it.

3. mwhq, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

mwhq macrumors member

I use one as a system drive on my DAW and for that purpose I would highly recommend it. System startup is nice, program startups will benefit and of course more demanding software processes you encounter will run smoother than a standard HDD.

As mentioned, depends on what your use is and I take it it wont be for anything that requires video, music, media related?

Out of the SSD's out there it is one, if not the best to go for.

*Edit - just read your post again and if your thinking of going with that method don't bother...In a desktop with multiple bays that would work but FW800 transfer rates will not enhance read/write speeds in the same way as PCI express cables, not even closely.

Hope this helped.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

A SSD is definitely worth it if you can afford it. Drawbacks do exist to it, but the speed, durability, and reliability made it very, very worth it for me.

I wouldn't personally purchase a Vertex2, but there are a lot of people here who have them and have used them with great success. The Vertex is one of the fastest data storage system on the market today, and you could make a pretty solid argument that is the fastest, as it always tops the speed charts. With that said, any reputable SSD is going to be plenty fast and if you were to compare the Vertex 2 to the Crucial C300, you probably would notice little difference between the two despite the Vertex having the statistical edge on paper.

How much info is on your HDD now? I went to 120GB SSD and that will hold me till the cows come home. If you don't use tremendous amounts of data, saving a bit longer and getting a larger size SSD is not a bad idea. The more frequent complaint you will see for SSDs are related to the users wishing they went for more physical size. Also, Intel is going to drop the price on SSDs while increasing the capacity.

5. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

ive used 100GB... the thing is.. that i just dont mind taking an SSD from my pc and putting it onto my mac.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If it doesn't both you moving the data around, then buying a larger SSD may not be financially worth it. Either way, I would wait to see what Intel brings out, as there is a lot of speculation that it will be larger, faster (based on 25nm shrink as all announced 25nm SSDs are faster than the same models currently with 34), much cheaper, and use an updated block management. A 100GB (new gen) Intel may be cheaper than the 64GB OCZ, OWC, Crucial, current Intel, etc, and there is also belief that Intel is going to introduce a 60 and 80 (IIRC) 'value' line which really will be a value.