60hz 4K on new rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zOlid, Oct 23, 2013.

1. zOlid macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2013
    So now when the new rMBP's are out, we had the good news of TB2 being included.
    This is really nice, but when you look at the specs online, i cant find what standard of HDMI (im guessing 1.4) the computer have. And all i read is that it supports 4K in 24hz via HDMI.

On the TB2 info, you cant see what kind of TB2 display resolutions it supports.
    Is it like we have all thought, that it is capable of displaying 4K 60hz on the TB2 connection?
    If this is true, but it cant display that on the HDMI port, shouldn't there be some adapters coming that converts the TB2 to HDMI 2.0, that supports 60hz 4K?
    Since its much more likely to find a 4K display with HDMI 2.0 then one with TB2.
  2. moep, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

moep macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    From what I can tell from the tech specs, the new Haswell rMBP only supports 4k @ 24 hz via HDMI 2.0 (or 1.4?).
    The maximum resolution for the TB 2 connector appears to be 2560x1600.

With that begin said, I hope I’m wrong…
  3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    Not sure about TB2 either. Specific resolutions for TB2 output are conspicuously absent from the Apple web site. Is the video card the limiting factor? The Mac Pro supports multiple 4K displays but it has workstation video cards. I assume the 4K support on the Mac Pro is via TB2.
  4. moep macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    I believe the 750m has a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 but the GT3/GT3e chips should support 4k.

The more I look into this, the stranger it seems. I suspect the Haswell rMBPs still have HDMI 1.4 instead of 2.0.

We’ll have to wait for the reviews I guess…
  5. zOlid thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2013
    Maybe i heard wrong, but i think they said the Mac Pro also had HDMI 1.4 yesterday.
    But the question is really if TB2 will support 4k in 60hz, cos if its not, I think many don't really care about the shift from TB1 to TB2.

4k in 60hz feels like it is the whole reason people have been excited, about the standard having a chance to end up on the new rMBP models.
  6. bbapps macrumors regular

Jan 19, 2008
  7. Haxley macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2010
    According to Apple's Website http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

HDMI video output
    -Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    -Support for 3840x2160 resolution at 30Hz
    -Support for 4096x2160 resolution at 24Hz
  8. zOlid thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2013

Yes i know.
    We are talking about the capabilities of TB2 tho.
  9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

Oct 15, 2007
    The answer is very much a maybe...

I also am very confused by this because per apple's support page it only supports 4K via HDMI at 30Hz but SHOULD support 60Hz via a mini display port 1.2 specification built into thunderbolt 2.

However, I think it does possibly include 60Hz support (although not mentioned on apple's website). My evidence of this is that on the ifixit teardown they found an Intel DSL 5520 Thunderbolt 2 controller which according to Intel's and Wikipedia's website is falcon ridge which means it should support Display port 1.2 natively. Plus, on apple's thunderbolt page they specifically mention connecting a 4K display to a macbook pro through the thunderbolt port (not which is suggested by the support page listed above):

Also, the Apple mini displayport support page has not been updated since 2012 but I believe it is just showing old information

The BIG piece of evidence against the new macbook pro's supporting 4K through the thunderbolt port is that on apple's tech specs page they specifically mention 4K under the HDMI section but make no mention of it under the thunderbolt 2 section.

Lastly, because I also want to get a retina macbook pro if it will support 4K displays at 60Hz I called them and spoke with "advanced technical support" (it took 3 levels of going up the rungs to find someone who could answer this question). His official answer was that "it is untested by Apple" and thus is not officially recommended until it is tested by Apple and they have more information on the matter.
  10. zOlid thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2013
    I believe that the reason they don't mention 4k in the specification display, is because TB2 can do far more then just run displays.

But the question still stands, how ever technically it should drive it in 60hz.
    One can only hope there are no other hidden restriction to it.
  11. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

May 18, 2013
    Maybe they annouce a software update when the new mac pro arrives, that the rMBP now support 4k /60Hz with TB 2.
  12. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2013
    ...very likely!
  13. zOlid thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2013
    I actually think it suports it now.
    Its just that no one have tried it AFAIK.
    The most logical reason that they don't mention that it suports 4k 60hz under TB2, is that TB2 is not a display specific port.

At least that makes the most sense to me.
    Cos if they had mentioned it, they would have to (more or less) mention every other sort of device it supports.
    Since otherwise some people would go "why is not this device on the list?"
    Also it doesn't say any other resolutions either that we already know it supports.