Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kxfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
UK
Hi guys, just wanted to let everyone know that 4K displays appear to have improved support with the final release of Yosemite. The Samsung U28D590D monitor is now working for me with my 09 Mac Pro - mini DP to DP at 60hz with no artefacting or banding.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Hi guys, just wanted to let everyone know that 4K displays appear to have improved support with the final release of Yosemite. The Samsung U28D590D monitor is now working for me with my 09 Mac Pro - mini DP to DP at 60hz with no artefacting or banding.

I wish someone would confirm if these SST displays now work at 60 Hz on the nMP without weird artefacts on the right of the screen. The thread on this in the apple support forums suggests that it does, but....

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I have an Asus PB287Q that uses SST, and can confirm that there is no artifacts or tearing at 3840x2160@60Hz using DisplayPort 1.2 on Yosemite. This is with my 6-core Mac Pro using D500 GPUs.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have an Asus PB287Q that uses SST, and can confirm that there is no artifacts or tearing at 3840x2160@60Hz using DisplayPort 1.2 on Yosemite. This is with my 6-core Mac Pro using D500 GPUs.

Well, this is good news. What do you use the Asus for? How are you finding it? Some thoughts and impressions would be appreciated :)

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Well, this is good news. What do you use the Asus for? How are you finding it? Some thoughts and impressions would be appreciated :)

I use my Asus for graphic design, 3D modeling and photo editing. I find that it works and looks very nice. The colors are surprisingly good for a TN panel. Details look amazing on this monitor. The stand is also top notch, with great height adjustment, and being able to pivot it 90 degrees for long documents is a plus. :D

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I use my Asus for graphic design, 3D modeling and photo editing. I find that it works and looks very nice. The colors are surprisingly good for a TN panel. Details look amazing on this monitor. The stand is also top notch, with great height adjustment, and being able to pivot it 90 degrees for long documents is a plus. :D

I assume that you use it with a scaled resolution? How well do the scaled resolutions work, especially with text based stuff? I am trying to figure out if this monitor will be good for XCode.

kxfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
UK
I'm glad to see support is now becoming widespread for 4k. However I am seeing some momentary flickering of my screen every half hour or so. The screen blanks for a fraction of a second and then comes back on.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I assume that you use it with a scaled resolution? How well do the scaled resolutions work, especially with text based stuff? I am trying to figure out if this monitor will be good for XCode.

Yes, I do use it at a scaled resolution, and it works great. There are several different resolutions to scale to. Text looks amazing.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I can confirm with the Samsung U28D590D that Yosemite can do 60Hz without tearing. Haven't experienced screen glitches either. If I reboot to an external drive that I have 10.9.4 installed on, I will immediately see tearing, so it's definitely a Yosemite fix, not a condition of the cables, although obviously good cables are necessary. Also, it appears that SST is a lot more stable than MST, based on my experience with the Dell UP2414Q, which had lots of screen flickers and other glitches.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Hi, I have just bought 2 X Samsung 28 Inch 4K's for use with my 2013 Mac Pro 6 core D700 and I have to say I am rather disappointed by the performance of the monitor, I was waiting until today for Minidisplayport to display port cables to arrive and I hooked it up, the monitor runs at 60hz but I am seeing choppy video playback with lots of frame dropping. I have tried various test videos, 4K and 1080 60p and 30p, full screen and in windows but I just can't get smooth video playback on this Samsung monitor, I also have my old iMac connected in target display mode, when I drag a video window over to the iMac it runs smoothly, when I drag the window onto the Samsung 4K it drops frames and the playback is choppy. I have tried the various settings on the monitor, i.e.: Response time, standard, faster, fastest and actually it gets worse with it set to faster or fastest. The frame dropping is SLIGHTLY less if I expand a video window to full screen but any video playback is choppy and dropping frames, especially when it's a smaller window. Anyone else experienced this please? It's like there is either too slow a screen refresh to keep up with video playback or it's like a little buffer is getting full and stuttering playback. I like the monitor apart from this and the very critical sharpness setting so I hope there is a fix so I don't have to return the monitors . . . . Thanks!

Tom-Create-Pro

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
UK

Which GPU are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.