60w Mag"safe" adaptor not feeling so safe any more

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrobsd, Feb 20, 2010.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

My Magsafe adaptor is so hot right now that it almost burns me to hold it. It also smells pretty warm, like a heater. This can't be normal can it?

Should I be alarmed?

My 13.3" UMBP is only 3 months old...

2. mac88 macrumors 6502

Sounds like there may be a problem. They get hot, but not enough to possibly burn. Unplug it.

3. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I think "alarmed" might be a bit strong. Call AppleCare and get a replacement. No alarm necessary.

4. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Looking at the scratches and nicks on those things it looks like their owners, in addition to having the fraying/melting problem, are beating the crap out of their hardware.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

well you WRONG

brand new mbp 13" out of the box....almost burnt my house down

the magsafe caught on fire a burned the crap out of my desk and the mbp.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=735615&highlight=magsafe+fire

most fires do not happen in the wire but the actual magsafe plug and burn from the laptop down

6. dennis123123 macrumors member

its just from less careful people who bend/kink/twist the wire, or disconnect it by tugging the cable.

its not just going to break on its own!

7. ttopp macrumors regular

my GFs one went like those in the pics Apple replaced it no quibbles at all.. though i think it was her moving the comp about too much really.. mines have been fine

8. SWC macrumors 6502

Almost all of the ones I have seen online have been from "abuse" and I have had my own similar problems because I often unplugged the cable by pulling the cord vs grabbing the plastic end.

At the end of the day the connector isn't as rugged as it should be. I don't get why apple doesn't just make all of the adapters like the the air where its metal and has a much stronger stress relief boot. This would stop a lot of the issues.

9. rwd hero macrumors 6502

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have never "abused" my charger, or my computer.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just get apple to replace it. Mine started fraying and they immediately replaced it, no questions asked.

11. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

My computer is brand new, the adapter is also brand new with very few nicks and scratches, I have never dropped it - so I do kind of resent some of the remarks people made about abusing your computer. Anyway, I will call apple tomorrow and see if they will replace it, something tells me they do not fancy the idea of having a front page news article about a fire involving a brand new macbook pro. :)

12. radiosity macrumors newbie

yeah, they'll replace it without question. I'm more concerned that they are still making the things. :(

something I hope they will fix when arrandale is rolled out. :D