60W vs 85W on White Macbook (nVidia)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amabo, May 12, 2009.

1. amabo macrumors member

Hello. I just received a new refurbished white macbook in the mail today and I had a couple of questions about chargers. I'm selling my Macbook Pro and I can either sell it with the 85W charger that came with it or the 60W charger. Does one charge "faster" than the other? Will the 60W charger melt on my macbook? Which one is better in terms of use with this new laptop for the long run?

Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have heard from a few people including an Apple Genius that the Pro adapters work better. I have the new Uni MacBook 2.4 and I use the Pro AC Adpater on mine, I very rarely use my MacBook adapter because I noticed that it charges faster on the Pro 85W adapter as opposed to the 60W adapter, but it is not Earth shattering difference, just seems to be better with the 85W.

Hope that helps

3. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

The Macbook Pro will work with a 60 W adapter, but charging the battery will take considerably longer.

The 85W adapter works well on 13" Macbooks, charges the battery a bit faster. But it's also a bit bigger and heavier than the 60W version. If you're plannin on getting a Macbook Pro at some point, keep the 85W. If not, compare the wear and tear of both adapter's cables, especially the thin cable with the magsafe on it. Keep the one that's better in shape. I had one cable go up in flames because it apparently was bent too much.

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Jeez add another thing that makes their 13 inch option inferior to the 15 inch. Bring back the 12 inch g4 please. 13 inch macbook pro please.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if I came to look at your MBP and you were trying to sell it with the wrong adapter, I'd wonder what else was wrong with it and "walk away"...just my $0.02

6. amabo thread starter macrumors member

Just to let you know, I'm selling it with a lot of defects and stating that explicitly.

The 85W is in a little damper of state, so I think I'm going to stick with the 60W charger just because it's in better shape and magsafe adapters don't really have long lifespans according to reviews on Apple's website.

Thanks! And any other input is more than welcome, I'll keep this bookmarked for a couple of days and post when I can.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't sell a MacBook Pro with a MacBook adapter. To the buyer it would look more like a scam then good graces.

You can also seriously damage the adapter and/or computer.