61 watt power brick for 15 inch Touch Bar MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lexus, Jan 9, 2017.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I accidentally bought a 61 watt power brick for my new 15 inch Touch Bar MBP. The guy in the store said it was the right one. It seems to charge fine, is it ok to use it? Or should I get the 88 watt one?

Thanks

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

It will charge the device, or possible sustain a charge under heavy load. But the 87w adapter is the one designed for the 15". I'd take it back and swap it.

3. blairian89 macrumors regular

blairian89

Yes, it will work and charge your laptop, albeit not as quickly as the 87 watt variant that was designed for your laptop.

Under a heavy load you will likely only sustain a charge or slowly drain the battery. I would go back and swap them out, unless you want the smaller form factor for a second charger that goes into a travel bag or something really specific.

4. DanDilla macrumors member

DanDilla

I'm most of the time travelling with a 29w, 60w should be more than fine as long as you're not editing 4k, gaming or doing other cpu + gpu intensive stuff.

If you always stay on battery and only get to the power outlet when you're completly down to get a quick charge, you maybe should return it, it will shure charge a few %/hr slower.

Consider it's lighter and a little bit smaller if you carry it around all day.