Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So today I was in the lunch line and everybody was pushing to get to the front.
This one kid pushed me and hit my hand; my 2G 16GB iPod touch flew out of my hand and onto the ground.
Once he saw me go to pick it up him and his friends booked it.
The scren has 3 or 4 long crackes on it.
It's actually a lot worse than it looks.
This sucks, a lot.
The kids at my school are jerks.
I called my local Apple Store and made an appointment at the Genius Bar for 3:55.
Has anything like this ever happened to you or someone you know?

Attachments

• 1203081412a.jpg
    1203081412a.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 1203081413a.jpg
    1203081413a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 1203081414a.jpg
    1203081414a.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 1203081418a.jpg
    1203081418a.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 124

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
This one kid pushed me and hit my hand; my 2G 16GB iPod touch flew out of my hand and onto the ground.
This sucks, a lot.
I called my local Apple Store and made an appointment at the Genius Bar for 3:55.

I would never use my touch in the lunch line (even if we were allowed at our school). Kids in the lunch line are equal to thirsty, angry animals at a watering hole. :eek:

Sorry about your touch, there isn't much you can do. :eek:

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
find out who the heck pushed u and then ask their parents to pay for the replacement. no one will ever push u after that.:D well, there is much else left to excepot to find out who pushed u.do u know who pushed u?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
All I can hope for is that Apple replaces my screen, gives me a refurb, or is really nice and gives me a new one.

find out who the heck pushed u and then ask their parents to pay for the replacement. no one will ever push u after that.:D well, there is much else left to excepot to find out who pushed u.do u know who pushed u?

Not too positive who pushed me.
I had never seen him before.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
i never use my pod in crowded public places because of that and theft. same reason i wouldn't cary $300 in 20's in my hand.

biikman

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
This sucks, a lot.

Sorry to see that man. it is repairable, but I probably don't have to tell you apple won't cover it. Could always give these guys a call for kicks to see what the damage would be..
http://www.thepoddrop.com/pricing-touch.htm

Raytheon117

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
My God that sucks! Hope you get it repaired soon! Btw, is the glass actually raised (ie, can you still swipe your hand across it smoothly?) or is it just cracked and flat?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Im srry for your loss, but thats deffinatly not going to happen.

It's worth a shot though.

My God that sucks! Hope you get it repaired soon! Btw, is the glass actually raised (ie, can you still swipe your hand across it smoothly?) or is it just cracked and flat?

It seems to be raised a little bit.
I can barely feel the cracks.
But toward the left where they all meet it is really noticable and I can easily feel it and it is really thick.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
you can prly just get an invisible shield and put that over it to minimize the damage of the cracks.

Discostu7

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Word of Advice

I tell this to everyone who purchases a new ipod touch or iphone.

Always buy the Apple Care Kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You never expect anything to happen to your IPT or IP but anything can always go wrong. When I freaken got my Macbook Pro I left my laptop on the desk in college classroom next to a trusty friend. I walk back and someone knocked it over. Was it out of jealously? Probably, who really knows. But now there's a nice dent in the corner, I wished I bought the Apple care kit for it. SO whats the good ol lesson here? If you bought something expensive it's worth spending the extra $$$ for the extended warranty (apple care kit)! I know they can be pricey but trust me you'll be doing yourself a huge favor. Any portable item, buy the extended warranty! Any jerk can come along and try and ruin your product.

Option B.

Invest in a nice case that completely covers your IPT or IP. I use the Vakoss Touch Red Case, only 10 bucks.

Macally makes good ones too. they come with Leather cases along with a screen overlay which offers extra protection. Leather flip cases are great too as long as the magnetic piece is reliably strong.

macintosh.apple

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
^^^^^^^^ you're not too smart are you? All AppleCare does is extend the warranty 1 or 2
years for a manufacture defect or non accidental problem.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
If you bought something expensive it's worth spending the extra $$$ for the extended warranty (apple care kit)! .

Maybe if you bought just ONE expensive item in your days. I've NEVE Rbought an extended warrantly and in the nearly 30 years I've been buying electronics I've literally saved thousands of dollars by not shelling out $$ for extended warranties and just paying for repairs out of pocket until it's better to just buy a newer/modern item.

Mike

semin28

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
My screen cracked by me throwing on the floor bc it was pissing me off .I went to gb and they said it's cheaper to get it fixed . So then thad the balls to tell me it's 120 to get it fixed.WTF I could by a brand new 8gig for 200. Then I sold my crack iPod for 85$.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
My screen cracked by me throwing on the floor bc it was pissing me off .I went to gb and they said it's cheaper to get it fixed . So then thad the balls to tell me it's 120 to get it fixed.WTF I could by a brand new 8gig for 200. Then I sold my crack iPod for 85$.

:rolleyes:
Cool story, Hansel.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I've literally saved thousands of dollars by not shelling out $$ for extended warranties.........just paying thousands for repairs out of pocket until it's better to just buy a newer/modern item.

Mike

So, where are the savings?

I buy the warranties when I feel the need. The $800 repair cost for my G5 was enough to convince me. With my MBP, the top case replacement and the HDD crash would have cost me $750, but since I spent the $249 (ebay) on the Apple Care it was free.

Not that I get the warranties with everything, just where they count.

p.s. Sorry OP, this is one of the many reasons I just won't get an iPod Touch or iPhone. Having a REAL GLASS SCREEN on the front of something you WILL drop at least once is kind of dumb to me. Also why the case really matters. I see hundreds of people walking into the Apple Store buying iPod Touches and iPhones and getting crappy InCase and Speck cases for them.

If it's not thick silicone it's worthless and only a fashion statement.

You are better off just not wasting your time with the Genius Bar. They are good folk, but you dropped your Pod. Outside of begging to the right person, they won't be able to help you outside of giving you a new one. By the way, they don't fix Pods, they just get a "replacement" sent to the store to replace your old one.

Just get a new Pod and get Apple Care for it at the time of purchase or near the end of the first year just in case the next incident is Apple's fault.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So I highly doubt Apple Care would have covered this.
So can I still get Apple Care since my iPod isn't a year old?

And I didn't really have a choice on which case to get, it was they only case they had and the first one they had gotten in.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So I highly doubt Apple Care would have covered this.
So can I still get Apple Care since my iPod isn't a year old?

And I didn't really have a choice on which case to get, it was they only case they had and the first one they had gotten in.

Yeah, Apple Care wouldn't have covered this at all. Even if it were a light drop.

You can still get Apple Care, but since your Pod is ruined it's no point. The next one can get it of course, and if you don't buy it on day one, you have until the first years to get it.

Yeah, the cases at the Apple store simply suck, no matter which Pod you get, or which brand you pick. There are maybe four or five cases out of hundreds that I would ever use on the various Pods.

Discostu7

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Maybe if you bought just ONE expensive item in your days. I've NEVE Rbought an extended warrantly and in the nearly 30 years I've been buying electronics I've literally saved thousands of dollars by not shelling out $$ for extended warranties and just paying for repairs out of pocket until it's better to just buy a newer/modern item.

Mike

so basically your saying life insurance is pointless too.

Well done folks. Just trying to give out some advice here and the board trolls come out firing nukes.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Thanks for the advice everyone.

maybe you need to spend less time on these boards and get a life!

Wow, way to get snotty at someone for correcting you.

Yeah, Apple Care wouldn't have covered this at all. Even if it were a light drop.

You can still get Apple Care, but since your Pod is ruined it's no point. The next one can get it of course, and if you don't buy it on day one, you have until the first years to get it.

Yeah, the cases at the Apple store simply suck, no matter which Pod you get, or which brand you pick. There are maybe four or five cases out of hundreds that I would ever use on the various Pods.

I think I'll still go in just to see what they say.
Ugh, this pisses me off so much.

I had a belikin hard case for my classic and it was amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.