Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Always buy the Apple Care Kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Apple Care extended warranty covers the same stuff the original warranty covers. It doesn't cover cracked screens or water damage.

Personally I've always felt that these warranties are a suckers bet especially if you buy the lower priced unit. Paying $60 for a warranty for something that costs $220 is insane. Would you pay $10,400 for a two year warranty on your $40,000 car? Or $312 for a two year warranty on your $1,200 desktop computer? I sure wouldn't. The reality is that the only reason these companies (Best Buy included) offer these warranties is because they know that statistically electronics last longer than the time span of the warranty. These things are nothing but big cash cows for them.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
hope this works out for you. Technically they shouldn't replace the model, however apple have been known to do such things on rare occasions, so i think that you are right to try your chances. Good Luck:)

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
so basically your saying life insurance is pointless too.

Well done folks. Just trying to give out some advice here and the board trolls come out firing nukes.

He's not saying that, at all.

If your home insurance provider charged you 22% (UK Applecare price, taken as a percentage of the price of the cheapest 2nd gen iPod touch) of the value of your home for two years of cover, would you do it?

Probably not. He's simply pointing out that if you were to purchase an extended warranty for every item - even just every expensive item - of electrical equipment you purchase in your life, you'll lose an awful lot of money. Even if somewhere along the line, the **** hits the fan.

Apple isn't in it for the charity - they push their retail sales staff to sell Applecare as part of a metrics package, and from the few stories that do get through, they push pretty hard.

Edit: my apologies; quick5 basically made the same point a few posts above, albeit with another analogy. Didn't see it :)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
....they push their retail sales staff to sell Applecare as part of a metrics package, and from the few stories that do get through, they push pretty hard....

They don't push their sales staff to sell Apple Care that hard at all. They may do it with Mobile Me, but Apple Care is a take it or leave it for many of the ones I have bought Macs from.

Besides, they do push it because repairing a Mac is insanely expensive if the wrong part decides to break... say a logic board or the screen in a laptop. And if it's Apple's fault any person in their right mind would be pissed that they didn't get the $250 (or cheaper online) Apple Care to save $750 on a screen replacement, $400 on a top case replacement, or $1200 on a new computer.

Why did you not buy a new G5?

This was only a years after last G5 was introduced, getting a new one wasn't an option.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Well for my iPod classic I got the 3 year warranty from Best Buy for $60.
It really came in handy for the two times my hard drive failed.
I didn't bother buying an extended warranty for my iPod touch because it doesn't have a hard drive and couldn't really think of what the warranty would have covered.

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
My brother was using his first gen nano on the way to a class and when he got there he put it in an empty pocket and took it out when the teacher said it was okay and guess what the screen was shattered. the apple genius looked at it and saw that the cracks were all extending from one point in the middle which means it was pushed against something like a pebble so they didnt replace it. the cracks in your screen look different so they probably will replace it.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
My brother was using his first gen nano on the way to a class and when he got there he put it in an empty pocket and took it out when the teacher said it was okay and guess what the screen was shattered. the apple genius looked at it and saw that the cracks were all extending from one point in the middle which means it was pushed against something like a pebble so they didnt replace it. the cracks in your screen look different so they probably will replace it.

Thanks for the hope! :)

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
so basically your saying life insurance is pointless too.

Well done folks. Just trying to give out some advice here and the board trolls come out firing nukes.

No, never said anything about Life Insurance...there's a big difference between life insurance (or health insurance) and electronics don't ya think?

I'm trying to give advice too. Just because it differs from yours I'm a troll?

I'm not a board troll. I've been running more boards and discussion groups the last 15 years than you can imagine. I'd just telling it like it is. Extended Warranties are a waste of money in a vast majority of the cases. If you are calling me a troll for stating that then call Consumer Reports, cnet.com and the like trolls too. Sure, they reccomend it for items that have a suspect reliability history, but for the most part they say keep the cash in your pocket.

Plus, to the guy who also replied "so, where are the savings?" I say? Huh? What kind of question is that? Where are the savings he has totaled up thru the years buying items on sale or using coupons? It's an intangible thing.

The fact is a vast majority of electronics I have bought never have broken down in their viable years of service. Heck, they wanted to sell me an extended warranty on a microwave I bought in 1984 and the sucker is STILL running and I use it at least 300 days a year.

Do the math. If you have a lot of electronics in your home, make a list. Make a list of what they cost, when you bought them and when a typical extended warranty would have run out. Now, how many of them broke down in that extended timeframe (outside of the original warranty)? In my case I can think of ONE. As for items that had extended warranties offered up, in my house right now I have two desktop PCs, two laptops, four televisions, two complete stereo systems each with CD/DVD, DAT, cassette and turntables, a hybrid stereo system, a surround sound system, a 5-handset cordless phone system, the quarter-centruy old microwave, fridge, a sleep-number bed, XBox 360. Within what would now be an extended warranty is the XBox. Within the original are one TV and one laptop. Everything else is out of the extended warranty range and the ONLY one that had a problem in the extended warranty range was the Hybrid stereo, which was just 300 anyway.

And this is just the stuff I presently own now. Not the stuff that just naturally died.

Extended warranties on electronic items are a waste of money in the long run if you figure to make an average number of purchases. Exceptions include items with a lower reliability rate, such as rear projection LCD TVs a few years back.

Just my opinion that has at least proven to be a fact in my personal case.

Mike

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
My desktop PC broke, however, it was 6 years old, and I got my money's worth out of it. I had to buy a new PC, the old one had bad caps (not easily fixable). There is no warranty that would have covered me for 6 years on a desktop PC anyways.

My DS Lite broke too, Nintendo replaced it for free under the original one year warranty which I didn't pay a cent for. I was careful with it and the damage was not screen damage.

We have a microwave from 1984 and its still going, we use it at least twice daily, usually more times.

The warranties aren't usually worth it these days. Warranties USED to be worth it in the mid 90's or so I would purchase warranties on walkmans(not necessarily sony brand) and after I broke them I would go in and get a new one no questions asked. I always made sure I went in right before the warranty expired with a broken device.... hehe. Walkmans used to break a lot because cassette players were notorious for failing due to worn out parts. Retail was good back then. I also remember returning a portable CD player to target that broke quickly and getting a refund of $50 on the spot and I did not pay for any additional warranties.

Best Buy changed their warranties recently so whatever you buy a warranty on its not an automatic replacement or refund. If you had a warranty from 2008 or so it still falls under the old terms where you get the good warranty that they used to have. Best Buy is also notorious for denying warranty claims, because every time they take something for warranty replacement it decreases the store numbers and if you get a manager that is in a bad mood you are SOL. There is also a clause in there that say warranty repairs or replacements are up to manager or store discretion so basically they can deny you service just if they feel like it. I wouldn't buy a warranty from them.

Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage so its basically worthless for iPods and iPhones. Squaretrade covers accidental damage, I would buy a warranty from them but the warranty is like $70 and if they don't replace your item or you have a problem with them you can shame them publicly on websites like twitter and epinions and they will replace your stuff or give you a refund of the purchase price of your item. So if you are really careless I recommend squaretrade.

If I break my device I am better off just selling the old one on ebay, and purchasing the newest version, especially with apple products that go out of date and become unsupported so quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.