Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Nvidia.com! They've got notebook drivers up officially, that support a whole ton of notebooks...INCLUDING APPLE'S!

Now I was able to use their desktop drivers fine on last gen hardware, but still.

Go grab 'em, and let us know how they work!

Unfortunately Sony's stuff isn't supported, for some reason. Don't know whose fault that is :-/

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Whats the difference using the Nvidia drivers and the Apple BootCamp drivers?

They're up to date. Apple's drivers are outdated. They probably work okay for a lot of things now, but will get worse and worse and worse and make the system near worthless for a lot of things.

This is *HUGE* news. One of the biggest things to happen to computers this year. Maybe the biggest really. I just hope it continues on.

Weirdly, Sony and Leveno are the only companies not involved in it. I mean it's awesome even Apple is, and Windows isn't even their gig!

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
That's pretty cool, no need to use hacks and workarounds to get up-to-date drivers on my system anymore.

TheCakeIsALie

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Another good news is that nVidia says that Hybrid SLI support is coming in an update some time later, which means hopefully that we'll be able to switch from 9600M GT to 9400M card on the new unibody MBPs.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Let me know how well they work and what hardware you've got! 'Cause I'm close to buying a computer, and was leaning towards a Sony AW...but then these get released, and Sony is one of only two companies not supported!

ProFont

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Europe
Thanks for posting this. I've been running on hacked drivers, so it's great to see properly supported ones.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I noticed the install file for XP 32 bit says "beta" in the name. So does that make the driver beta or just the install itself?

kamin99

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
They're up to date. Apple's drivers are outdated. They probably work okay for a lot of things now, but will get worse and worse and worse and make the system near worthless for a lot of things.

This is *HUGE* news. One of the biggest things to happen to computers this year. Maybe the biggest really. I just hope it continues on.

Weirdly, Sony and Leveno are the only companies not involved in it. I mean it's awesome even Apple is, and Windows isn't even their gig!

are these drivers for windows if used on Apple machine or are they for OSx as well
Many thanks

tri3limited

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
London
I agree with Tex-Twil... There has been far far bigger news than this.

I'd say the Internet Explorer vulnerability has to be up there, this is great for some but tbh most the time a driver update isn't going to make that much difference to the system. The companies invest far more time and money into new products than adding a slight performance change to a current driver.

ProFont

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Europe
Before you could get drivers for notebooks from here. I don't really see why such an excitement. :confused:
These drivers are actually tested and supported by someone other than some random guy from the internet. I used laptopvideo2go as well, but that can only be a good thing.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I agree with Tex-Twil... There has been far far bigger news than this.

I'd say the Internet Explorer vulnerability has to be up there, this is great for some but tbh most the time a driver update isn't going to make that much difference to the system. The companies invest far more time and money into new products than adding a slight performance change to a current driver.

Actually sometimes performance increases can be massive, even more than doubling performance. But the main issue is compatibility. It's incredibly lame if you spend thousands on hardware that becomes a door stop only because of a lack of drivers.

And a software vulnerability? Web browsers have had trillions of problems fixed every year since there were web browsers. That's not even beginning to approach the level of a GPU company finally being able to offer driver support for mobile GPUs. That changes so much for notebooks.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Nvidia.com! They've got notebook drivers up officially, that support a whole ton of notebooks...INCLUDING APPLE'S!

Now I was able to use their desktop drivers fine on last gen hardware, but still.

Go grab 'em, and let us know how they work!

Unfortunately Sony's stuff isn't supported, for some reason. Don't know whose fault that is :-/

I remember you posted on another forum stating that you manually installed the drivers, bypassing the nvidia installer. Nvidia uses an installer for a reason and you're very lucky you didn't cause yourself any massive problems.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I remember you posted on another forum stating that you manually installed the drivers, bypassing the nvidia installer. Nvidia uses an installer for a reason and you're very lucky you didn't cause yourself any massive problems.

You've never installed graphics drivers manually in Windows?

I'd stay away from Guru3D! ;)

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
You've never installed graphics drivers manually in Windows?

I'd stay away from Guru3D! ;)

I've been building PCs longer than most here have owned Macs ;)

Manually installing nvidia drivers is never a good idea. You miss out on hardware specific tweaks and features, as well as additional software like nvidia's control panel.

Plus you might not get proper power management.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006

I've been building PCs longer than most here have owned Macs ;)

Manually installing nvidia drivers is never a good idea. You miss out on hardware specific tweaks and features, as well as additional software like nvidia's control panel.

Plus you might not get proper power management.

You don't lose Nvidia's control panel, that gets installed too. Why is it a bad idea? IMO it's a better idea that using 3rd party software of unknown function or quality to do the same thing.

EDIT: I should say, if you know something about it, I'd like to know because this whole area is weird...but it seems to me manually installing the desktop drivers is probably the way to go prior to these new official drivers.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Talk about a huge ego :eek:

Most of the best "tweaked" drivers out there in the community require a manual install.

desantii

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2006
Aurora, IL
I updated the drivers seamlessly in my early 08 MBP, in Vista 64 went from driver version 167 to 179

thanks

08 Peryn MBP 17" 6gb ram 320gb HD

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Glad to hear it worked!

I'm hoping these work okay with Blu Ray too. I'm kind of leaning towards getting a Macbook Pro again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.