Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Huh? I suppose it would be appropriate there too, but this is only for the Macbook Pro.

DeLoMan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
What changes are you seeing in heat and battery life with this update on the late '08 MBP?

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
I wouldn't say this is spam because this only affects MacBook Pro users.

Thanks for the heads up! Downloading now.

lauph

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
30 mins from Cupertino
before the update, GTA4 was playable only at 1024*768, with lowest settings, and frequently has textures disappearing.

After the update, it is happily playable, with even better response at 1280*800, with medium settings. No texture problems.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
i just installed this driver on my windows partition, which i only use to play a few games
i ran a benchmark to see performance before and after the update(the only games that i have with built in bench-markers are fear ad world in conflict)
these are my results
before i was using bootcamp drivers 167.63 (i think)
all in 1440 by 900 on max settings minus vsync (i think)
fear before after
min 18 19
avg 32 32
max 59 59

wic
min 5 4
avg 9 9
max 25 28

lol, i know what your thinking, this didn't do anything, there can be slight variations when you run benchmark utilities multiple times.
but the things you don't see in these results
fear: the effects in the benchmarks look better, eg bullet shots against a wall or any object that isn't a character had smoke coming of it(this didn't happen before) and the gas explosion at the end looked better and was bigger.
world in conflict:the first bomb that goes off in this benchmark usually was a big blinding explosion that engulfed the entire screen, but now it looks smaller and i think its terrible, wic loses a bit from this update

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
before the update, GTA4 was playable only at 1024*768, with lowest settings, and frequently has textures disappearing.

After the update, it is happily playable, with even better response at 1280*800, with medium settings. No texture problems.

What are your specs otherwise I find this hard to believe. It has becoming evident that this game is unplayable on anything higher than 1024X768 on our systems. I reverted back to the DOX rev 1.1 of the 180.84 drivers because these most recent drivers that we are discussing slowed my GTA IV to an unplayable crawl even at the lowest settings and resolution. :(

lauph

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
30 mins from Cupertino
What are your specs otherwise I find this hard to believe. It has becoming evident that this game is unplayable on anything higher than 1024X768 on our systems. I reverted back to the DOX rev 1.1 of the 180.84 drivers because these most recent drivers that we are discussing slowed my GTA IV to an unplayable crawl even at the lowest settings and resolution. :(

2.4GHz MBP penryn, upped to 4gb ram.

1280*800
Textures medium
Render Medium
Distance 50
Distance 50
car 30
shadow (the max, forgot the number)

The gameplay is smooth, and the lag between input and the response is barely noticeable.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Does ATI have anything like this?

No, they don't. ATi's desktop drivers are notorious for being buggy, and they've never shown any interest in trying to support notebooks.

i think so
ati driver updater for notebooks
well i thnk this s it.

this for ati macs through bootcamp
yep yep ati for mac bootcamp

Those drivers are ancient, or in the first case, not for notebooks. Your best bet is probably force installing the desktop reference drivers. Baring that, you'd have to rely on third party hacks.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
2.4GHz MBP penryn, upped to 4gb ram.

1280*800
Textures medium
Render Medium
Distance 50
Distance 50
car 30
shadow (the max, forgot the number)

The gameplay is smooth, and the lag between input and the response is barely noticeable.

Wow that is surprising. Are you running Vista and have you done any adjustments or custom profiles for GTA in the Nvidia control pantel? I may have to give this new driver another go. Thanks.

eLbanana

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
I donwloading the official nvidia driver 179.28. Gonna compare him with the latest DOX driver, will let you know soon.

UPDATE: I tested the new driver on my MBP unibody @ 2,53 and well its the same to DOX.
Resolution 1024*800 everything set to lowest except texture details are set to medium.
Avg FPS: 30
Min:23
Max 37 while driving outside

Resolution 1200*800
Texture medium, 20, 20, Rendering low
Avg FPS: 19 = unplayable...

Chris F

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
The new drivers work nicely for playing WAR in WinXP on my UB MBP. Be sure to set fans to 5000 in smcfancontrol before rebooting.

Max GPU temp I see while playing is 75C and the range is about 70-75C.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
The new drivers work nicely for playing WAR in WinXP on my UB MBP. Be sure to set fans to 5000 in smcfancontrol before rebooting.

Max GPU temp I see while playing is 75C and the range is about 70-75C.

As far as I know there's no reason to set the drivers like that...I'd be a little leary to. The fans should speed up as needed (probably jump to basically 100% within a minute of launching a game or pushing the CPU).

I don't know what that program's doing though...maybe it disables the laptop's ability to set it's own fan speeds?

Semiopaque

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Just installed and seems to work quite well on my early 08 MBP. I was having issues running Dreamscape - GPU temp would go up pretty quickly and wouldn't stop unless I turned it off. Also had issues when running a screen saver at high settings, same thing GPU temp would keep increasing (it's not the fans, those would keep revving up more and more as the temp went up).

Since installing, I can run Dreamscape on the MBP screen and an external and the temp levels off without issues. Same with the screen saver. It still gets hotish, but not blistering with no end in sight like it was before.

No games to play atm, so can't speak on that, only my heat problems.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
*Plink*!!

That is the sound of laptopVideo2Go's adsense revenue dropping like a stone.

zorahk

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
North Korea
*Plink*!!

That is the sound of laptopVideo2Go's adsense revenue dropping like a stone.

Not really. These drivers they released are still out of date. I am running on my laptop 180.48 which is their latest WHQL release thanks to laptopvideo2go, and my benchmarks are higher than what you guys are using.

Hero887

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
After installing the new drivers from their website onto my new MBP running Windows Xp Professional on bootcamp the sound in TR Underworld demo has gone. There is only sound in the menu but when playing the actual game demo there is no sound? Also it seems to be jumpy.
So I tried to remove the drivers by putting in the OX X disc and it uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but still no sound...?
any ideas?
Thanks

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
I ended up going back to the laptop2go drivers.. I was really shocked to see that even with the newer updated NVIDIA drivers, they still don't let you choose the external monitor as the primary display..

At least this was possible with the 3rd party drivers.

Semiopaque

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
I ended up going back to the laptop2go drivers.. I was really shocked to see that even with the newer updated NVIDIA drivers, they still don't let you choose the external monitor as the primary display..

I'm not having that issue. Are you going through the Display Settings to mark your external as your main monitor?

the advisor

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
Long Island
Interestin..

I had no problem with this at all. Installed new Nvidia drivers in XP Pro with no problems. I used to crash after 20 min of fallout 3 on the lowest settings... Now I am pushing a 22inch WFP at native resolution on high quality with 4x aa and she goes all night. Lets me select the external as the primary and everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.