Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
My cousin has an 8GB ipod touch with 1.1.2 firmware. When we connect it to iTunes it will tells me that it is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. When I go to restore it says I need to update (which I would love to do). But when I try to restore and upgrade it says that I do not have permission. ANy clues?

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I have a similar problem. I have 1.1.5, and I can't update because I don't have permission. It's really frustrating.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I just checked another forum and apparently a lot of people are having the same problem. Apple must be experiencing server issues or something.

ezongker

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
Same issue... frustrating

I just got mine as a gift and I bought the update too! but its giving me the same error and I'm getting fed-up with trying to find a fix for it. anyone have any suggestions? thank you!!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I just got mine as a gift and I bought the update too! but its giving me the same error and I'm getting fed-up with trying to find a fix for it. anyone have any suggestions? thank you!!

Then maybe this is a server problem Apple is having.
It may be because a lot of people just got new iPods and are trying to update/restore them.

ezongker

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
wow

Sounds like it... unfortunately! My family thought it was just us because we were have wireless issues. After reading this and realizing it was the same exact issue we felt slightly better. If anyone hears anything let us know please!! thanks!!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm surprised many people got first generation iPod touches for Christmas.

Sounds like it... unfortunately! My family thought it was just us because we were have wireless issues. After reading this and realizing it was the same exact issue we felt slightly better. If anyone hears anything let us know please!! thanks!!

Everything will be ok.
Just give it time.
Let the server cool down for a few days.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I'm bummed. For me, 90% of the iPod touch's appeal is its ability to run 3rd party apps. Which I can't do until I upgrade my firmware. Hopefully it's up and running soon.

:(

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm bummed. For me, 90% of the iPod touch's appeal is its ability to run 3rd party apps. Which I can't do until I upgrade my firmware. Hopefully it's up and running soon.

:(

If for some reason this problem isn't fixed soon you don't have to do it on your computer.
You can easily update the firmware on someone else's computer.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yea, I'm having a problem with restoring my iPod 1st generation. It already has the 2.2 firmware on it but I need to restore. I at first thought it was because I put a fresh install of Leopard on my MacBook; and I backed up my iTunes library by drag/drop my iTunes folder (4.xGB) to my external and replacing the folder on the new install. I'm glad to hear that it's not my end. Hopefully Apple's servers don't crash and burn due to the influx of new users.

samsam480

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
My problem is a bundle of other problems that ressemble to yours

My problem is that my ipod touch crashed completely and before it crashed I put a password on it. Now that i want to sync. it doesn't work because iTunes tells me I have to enter my password (i'd love to) but i can't because it needs to sync!
So i put it in restore mode, but when i want to restore it doesn't work because it says "SOFTWARE FOR THIS IPOD IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF ITUNES AND TRY AGAIN.
But I have the latest version of iTunes.

What should i do?

By the way i know the password so I don't need no hacks

Please help

ty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.