64 bit, 32 bit? help please?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wondering, Aug 14, 2008.

1. wondering macrumors newbie

Let me warn u guys first before i ask my question, im a total nooB, and i dont know the difference between the two, honestly :(

I recently bought a macbookpro, and now im planning to install vista so that i can play games on it as well. I already bought the vista home basic (its ok for games, isnt it?) OEM version, i havent tried installing yet, because i need 2 decide between the 64 bit or 32 bit so that the installation could rum smoothly..

so guys, please help? :(

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Vista Home Basic should run all the games that you would like.

I run Vista Ultimate only because I was able to get it free through my University, and it seems like overkill.

3. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

4. wondering thread starter macrumors newbie

alryt, thats good to know.. so.. do u know the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit..? which one should i install? which one is more compatible with video games?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FYI, Vista home basic is the cripple (most features are disabled) of the cripple (know as vista).

But if you must install, 64bit vista is slightly better (compared to 32bit vista) on a Mac that supports it (santa rosa and higher). If you bought a brand new MBP or previous generation MBP (released last summer) then it's santa rosa.

You probably need more ram as the 2gb that comes with MBP, as vista is a memory and resource hog.

6. wondering thread starter macrumors newbie

haha yeah im aware of it being a cripple, i just need windows to play games, no other tasks, should be alright, right..? :p

7. xpipe macrumors regular

If you bought an OEM disk, it has either 32 or 64 bit. With retail versions (besides Ultimate, which comes with both discs), the box comes with 32 bit but you can get a 64 bit disc sent to you for like $10. I don't believe that option is available with the OEM discs. You get whatever you bought. I recommend 64-bit, though.

8. xpipe macrumors regular

(so if you bought 32 bit and you want 64, don't open it!)

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I'd also agree to go with Vista 64 if you plan on maxing out your RAM (which I'm hoping for your sake you do, seeing as how cheap it is). If you don't plan on getting more RAM, Vista Home Premium (32-bit) should be fine.