64-bit iPhoto performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaveTheRave, Dec 1, 2013.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

I have a late 2009 Macbook with 4 gigs of RAM and iLife 2009. My iPhoto library is 44.7 GB with 13,000 pics and 386 videos. If I upgrade to the Mavericks version of iLife will I see a performance improvement? iPhoto is sluggish and takes a while before I can do anything with it after I click on the icon.

2. Drewski macrumors regular

My iPhoto slowed down with Mavericks. Well, it takes a lot longer to start up / access the library than it used to.

3. beachmusic, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

I upgraded to the new iPhoto also and it really slowed down. I get the spinning beachball a lot. Got so bad I upgraded to Aperture and all is well now. oh yeah my picture database was just a little bigger then yours.
    Edit to add specs... mid 2010 i7 with 32gigs memory and 1TB WD hd.

4. CyAnMan macrumors newbie

I have noticed a significant slowdown as well. both in start-up and accessing photos and yes I get the beach ball sometimes too - as a matter of fact i see it almost daily for half sec blips when my computer is idle and I'll move my mouse to say click on a window. Never ever saw that before. My system is not under-powered at all;

2012 Macmini i7 2.6Ghz w/16GB Ram and 1TB Fusion drive.

iPhoto library is 300GB with 40,000 Photos and used to run beautifully under ML 10.8.. not anymore :-(

5. Sbobby macrumors newbie

iPhoto has continuously slowed down as well as iMovie with Maverick upgrade. I've already contacted Apple, cleaned up the OS thinking that would speed things up. Still bogging down here and there.

Mac Pro Mid 2010 2.53 Ghz i5

6. DaveTheRave thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow these stories are making me nervous. I might hold off on upgrading until after I get a SSD. Thanks