64 bit kernel and Finder freezes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IceMacMac, Mar 22, 2011.

1. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

I upgraded my RAM to 48 GIGs to support some specific application needs. Consequently I needed to begin booting my 2009 Mac Pro in 64 bit.

I've been using it this way for about a week and most of the time it is great: seemingly brisker, and the additional RAM is great.

But....But at least six times total and twice tonight I've had nasty freezes where the finder will get hung up and will not be relaunch after a force quit. A hard re-boot will be my only option. I never have seen this behavior before so naturally I attribute it to booting in 64 bit.

I've looked at my Activity Monitor and scanned for culprits...I've removed or updated several borderline preferences/bg apps, and as many 3rd party 32-bit resources as possible.

I've done the obligatory repair permissions.

Any suggestions on what can I do next?

2. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

48 gigs of RAM?!!!!! you sure thats not a typo?

Anyhow, the crashes could be if the Ram isn't seated correctly, have you tried each stick on its own to see if crashes still happen, or tried re-seating them?

3. dyn macrumors 68030

Also, run some memory tests to make sure one or more of the new dimms aren't defect. Search the forums for some more tips on things like this, lots of info!

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Put it back into 32-bit mode. You don't need to be in 64-bit mode. If the freezes still occur, then you have either bad RAM or an installation problem.

5. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Thats not the point tho - he should be able to run 64 bit if he wants to. And wouldn't he have to run 64 bit to make use of all the RAM if over 4GB?

6. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

The system won't recognize all the chips unless the kernel is booted in 64-bit mode. And yes I did say 48 GIGs-- 6 of the 8 Gig chips.

Adobe's recommendation for After Effects is 2-3 Gig per CPU... and AE sees my 8 hyperthreaded cores as 16 cpus. Plus I often run AE with Illustrator, Photoshop, C4d, Mail, Safari and iTunes open at the same time.

Yes, I guess I should do some low-level RAM testing.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

OS X doesn't work that way.

So it didn't see the RAM in 32-bit mode? I'm thinking you have some bad RAM.

8. dyn macrumors 68030

The 32 bit kernel will see a max of 32GB of mem. If you've got more your only option is the 64 bit kernel.

However, adding memory and then having kernel panics obviously tells you something is wrong with the new memory so run some tests.

9. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't seen the classic kernel panic screen.

I am seeing the Finder freeze with no remedy. Aren't these two different things?

10. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

2 Updates:

- Overnight my finder froze again (The system was running a massive Time Machine backup so I left it turned on).

- I ran a 15 minute RAM test and the chips tested out fine. I'll do a longer diagnostic when I have time.

11. belvdr macrumors 603

I didn't know that, thanks!

You might also try adding a couple sticks in and testing. Once it starts locking then remove all the newly added sticks except the last batch. If it still locks, you found the pair that is having issues. Then just swap in one of the good sticks. If the locks go away, then the bad stick is the last one you pulled. If they remain, then the bad stick is the one you didn't replace.

Testing 48GB of RAM thoroughly will take a long time. I doubt that 15 minute test did much of anything.

12. dyn macrumors 68030

I tested my 12GB and it took more than 1 afternoon. It did however do 9 checks. The key to testing mem is checking it many times. Trial & error by simply removing/adding memory sticks would be the easiest and maybe even the quickest way. Other things to check would be the logs with Console (see Applications/Utilities) for crazyness.

13. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no way in heck I'm going to pull sticks out and test. I'm not getting instantaneous crashes anyway, so that method would take days or longer and a huge fuss factor.

I'll rely on an overnight RAM test...And sleep like a baby while it works.