64 Bit Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mykbibby, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Just curious, will 64 bit increase speeds of things such as rendering in Final Cut Pro? Will it help the pro-apps, or what? I don't exactly understand the concept of 64 bit, all I know about it is it makes stuff faster, so sorry if I sound like an idiot!

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

64-bit is just math. Leopard offering 64-bit support won't change anything at all for Final Cut or any other application you currently have, unless it is already written in 64-bit. Which it isn't.

Leopard will increase performance because of how it is designed (it is optimized far beyond Tiger), not because of 64-bit "support".

3. projectle macrumors 6502

64-bit definitely improves performance for high-level number crunching, including video rendering.

The biggest thing is that we would need to wait for Apple to release a 64-bit update to Final Cut Pro so that it can use the 64-bit included in Leopard.

It does not appear that 64-bit is in the current Final Cut release, however I could be mistaken. Personally, I would not expect this update until after Leopard ships. This is because Tiger does not have full 64-bit application support.

The tests that I have seen from Pinnacle's Liquid Production Suite on 64-bit XP have shown a 15% improvement in rendering speed compared to their 32-bit version on 32-bit XP on an identical box.

4. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Will it be a software update to make FC 64 bit?? Or will it be a whole new version or release we need to buy? i use FC express HD, if it makes a difference.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Most likely the next version.

6. ~J~ macrumors 6502

thats what i feared...

7. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

It's possible that this might not really take effect be of full benefit until 10.7; however that's just speculation.

This is just support for 64-bit applications, the applications have to be written in 64-bit like said earlier. Keep in mind, it'll be nice when all Apple processors, chipsets, and software will be 64-bit. However, since we're still supporting G4's, those are 32-bits.

8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

if you're running a full 64-bit OS and full 64-bit hardware, you'll notice speed increases in the OS and any 64-bit app.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

This would be a major update and most likely be a new version completely

10. oduinnin macrumors regular

According to Apple ...

Even if you are running 32 bit applications on Leopard, you will get a benefit from using 64 bit system and drivers.

Read this:
    Apple 64 bitness :D

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Don't forget they are also supporting about 9 months worth of Core Duo processors.

12. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Forgot about that, those Core Duo processors were 32-bit. That's the thing, it's going to take a while before 64-bit takes ahold of the industry. Take a look at what Adobe has to say about this: http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html

However, you better believe that Apple will probably take the lead in this field, if it will truly benefit their consumers. With apple controlling the hardware and software aspects of their products, it's easy for them to cause 64-bit to become mainstream.

13. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Can someone post a list if all mac apps written in 64 bit so we can know once and for all where we'll notice the difference in leopard?

I think this could benefit everyone...