64 bit systems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nemisis, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Nemisis macrumors member

Yeah, I am kind of pissed cause I didn't know that the iPod wasn't compatible with 64bit versions of Windows...I actually didn't even know I was using a 64bit version, lol. Anyway...is there any way to get around this? I have heard of VMware, but have no clue how to use it...I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

64 bit meaning Windows XP Professional? "iTunes is currently not supported in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or any 64-bit edition of Windows Vista." Meh. VMWare program, if it helps.

If it comes down to it, you can always call up the number for your Windows CD key not working, tell them that your motherboard/hard drive failed, and they should give you a free CD key. They'll ask you for your current key (I have done this a few times already, bad me), but half the time they didn't check if it was in use. Just make sure you tell them a key for Windows Home Edition, you can just ask a friend, if you can't find one and get this far message me and I'll look into it (I have a valid XP that I'm not using lying around somewhere). If you have Vista and not XP, I can't help you here.

3. jockmock macrumors regular

iTunes work flawlessly on my Vista 64bit. Does that mean that my iPod will work to?

4. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I don't know, when I was googling it I only came across errors with 64 bit XP Professional.

5. Nemisis thread starter macrumors member

I have 64bit vista. Everytime I plug it in, it says:
    Please plug iPod into computer running 32bit version of Windows Vista."

I called Apple, and they said that they don't make the ipods run on the 64bit versions of vista or XP...

Vigilante: I don't know my current key because I bought this laptop two months ago with Vista Ultimate 64 bit pre-installed...

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, there's no support on Windows x64. Only on Windows x86. Just be thankful that Apple is supporting the iPod on most versions Windows.

7. Nemisis thread starter macrumors member

8. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I am usually one to say tough luck that the ipod will not run on 10.3 or windows 2000.

But this is really not right. It is really unfair to all the 64bit users.

Leopard is going to be 64bit...

9. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Best solution? Ditch the Vista laptop and buy a nice MB or MBP. :D
    So much better all around rather than going through VMWare hassles and what not.
    And if you must, relegate a Windows install to a bootcamp partition.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, apple,

its either return iPT or return OS....

yeah, for a gadget that costs $300, spend extra $1200, doesn't sounds a good idea to me.

11. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

$1200 to be rid of Vista and onto a proper system is a bargain if you ask me. :p

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

now I understand how my friend got $40,000 for the divorce, I wouldn't mind when I got rich too.:cool:

13. Nemisis thread starter macrumors member

Well, Im not going to return either. I'm just going to hope that since leopard is going to be 64bit then they will make it compatible with iPods. That would make the most sense.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

10.5 will run 64 bit if you system has it, 32 bit if it doesn't. I really don't think that it's Apple's job to go running around producing drivers for every OS under the sun; especially something as unstable as Vista x64. Be thankful that Apple is giving you Windows support (yeah, it would lose a bunch of business otherwise) and not limiting you to OS ten.

15. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I could understand Apple not supporting XP X64... But I really feel they need to step up to the plate and support Vista 64.

(And just so you know, I have not invested interest in this matter... I have an iMac)

16. ksimm macrumors newbie

Is this just for the Touch, as I have Itunes running on Vista 64 and my Nano syncs just fine. I really don't want to have to install XP again. :confused:

17. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I guess not enough fan base to put in resources for a 64bit system not many use. I never had enough application support to find it worth using 64bit windows. TO each their own I guess