64-bit Vista Home Basic Boot Camp Troubles... Help!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sdschwendener, Feb 13, 2008.

1. sdschwendener macrumors regular

I just got my mac pro in the mail today. I put two new disks into it, a 80 gb music drive and a 320 gb disk to use for windows.

Whenever I put in my windows disk and it asks me to choose which disk to install windows on and I recieve errors. Please excuse me I am very ill and have an awful headache and have been trying to get this worked out for a few hours now.

The first error I received was this:
    "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation."

There is a workaround page here but it hasnt helped me at all.

I'm trying to install vista on my second disk, a seagate 300gb. The music drive is formatted to fat 32. I've even tried removing my os x and music drive and just boot off the windows dvd.. nothing. Any clue as to why it wouldnt work right? I have read other threads about this but they havent been resolved... it so bogus!

2. tguinn macrumors newbie

I am having the same trouble with Vista 64 Ultimate (OEM) on a 2008 Mac Pro.
    The disk I am trying to use is a 320 Seagate in the second position.

Disk 1 - Mac HD
    Disk 2 - 320 (for Windows)
    Disk 3 - 500 Additional Mac storage
    I am still running 2GB RAM

During the Vista install it appears that the BOOTCAMP partition is being formatted NTFS but I cannot get past "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation."

Anyone?

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Format the drive using the Boot Camp utility.

Then start the Windows installation, delete the partition created by the Boot Camp utility and recreate it. Restart your computer and then immediatly boot up from the Windows CD again and it should work.

You do realise that Windows Vista Home Basic will only see one of the two CPUs in your Mac Pro don't you?

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

if your installing on a 2nd hdd, wouldn't it be easier NOT TO USE BOOT CAMP and just boot off the DVD and install on the 2nd drive? I think you can still use the alt/option to select and boot back into OSX after installing vista.

5. Banacek macrumors 6502

You are a godsend. Is that trick mentioned someone and I missed it? Thank you!

6. lucky3killer macrumors regular

You need format the HDD into right area, use drive options (advanced) under Windows Vista installation.

7. Fumes macrumors newbie

No luck with creating the partition in Boot Camp and then deleting it from the Vista installer.

Brand new Mac Pro 3.0 8 core. Haven't installed anything due to the fact I wanted to get my systems set first. Keep getting the 0x80070017 error around 14% of expanding files.

Any ideas?

8. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

it could be a read-error of the DVD drive. Is the install disc clean? or did you burn an ISO file?
    I had a similar problem, in my case the installer didn't want to start at all (0X8007000D error). I burned the install DVD myself from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft. I had to re-download the file and write it at low speed then everything worked as it should.

9. TurnerMan macrumors member

TurnerMan

I wanted to log in and thank you for this. New Mac Pro and couldn't install Windows - did exactly what you said, just deleted the partition, made a new one from the same space, restarted and was able to install to that partition. Thanks again!

10. pazzo83 macrumors regular

I am trying to install on a second HD, when I get to the screen to select where I want to install Windows, I was running into similar problems as other users. I deleted the partition that was created by bootcamp for windows (Disk 1 partition 2), but now I can't create a new partition. When I highlight Disk 1 Partition 1 (the only one listed for Disk 1 now), the option to create a new partition is greyed out. Any ideas?

11. johnnyICON macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Anyway, I've just tried this and I've had no luck.

I just bought a TB HD and installed it into Bay 2 of my Mac Pro. I used Boot Camp Assistant to setup my partitions on this drive -- I'm only going to use 130GB for Windows Vista. I did exactly as instructed to and the Windows Installer still complained.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah, Home Basic is VERY...well, basic. I mean it's very dumbed down/crippled. You might not be very pleased with it actually. Shoulda gone for Home Premium (yes, the difference is that big).