64 bit warning.

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Martyimac, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Everywhere I read about where HS is supposed to be warning users when they start a program that is 32 bit that their program may not be supported in upcoming versions.
    Has anybody actually seen one of these warnings?
    I have tried 3 different ones so far and not one of them prompted the 32 bit warning.

2. jerwin macrumors 68020

I have indeed.

Screen Shot 9.png

supposedly, Apple's 32 bit apps, of which there are many, don't get this warning.

3. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I'm currently experiencing a glitch that prevents the app from launching on non-admin accounts. Works fine as admin. (Yes permissions are correct)

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Right now, this is "nothing more than a warning".
    The 32-bit stuff will still run fine.

5. 960design macrumors 68030

It will continue to run fine until the required June updates. If you update the app ( or rather attempt to update the app ) it will fail.

6. Fishrrman, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"It will continue to run fine until the required June updates. If you update the app ( or rather attempt to update the app ) it will fail."

WRONG.

7. J.Gallardo macrumors regular

J.Gallardo

With "Rosetta", Apple made a huge and admirable effort to transit from G-procs. to Intel.
    I'm not tech savy, but I suppose it will be much easier to virtualise a 32bit machine in a 64bit system in order to run legacy apps. (?)
    That would mean there'll always be a way to run 32bit apps... with Apple's o third party tool.
    Am I wrong? o_O

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

From what Apple have said, it sounds like you will be able to run 32bit Apps in the next version of Mac OS. But there will be compromises. It wouldn't surprise me if they have something like the Classic environment (which they had when moving to OSX), where the App basically runs inside an earlier version of Mac OS. Although even if they don't you would always run them inside something like VirtualBox/VMWare.

9. 960design macrumors 68030

Fair enough.