64-bit Windows 7 on 2007 mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chrisw87, Oct 19, 2010.

1. chrisw87 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Work have recently asked me to investigate the potential to put 64-bit windows 7 on our 2007 mac pro. It currently runs xp 32-bit but require to use more of the ram that the machine has. I am new to macs (my experience is windows and linux machines) so am struggling to come up with an answer. Apple seem to say windows 7 64 bit isn't supported on boot camp on a mac earlier that 2008. However, it appears people say it can be done. Could someone point me in the right direction to an article or provide me with some advice on how to go about it. Cheers

2. C. Alan macrumors 6502

Take a look at this thread. It has some links in it that may help you. If you have time to exeriment, try installing windows 7 on an external drive. This way you could find out what works without manipulating any of the existing drives in the machine.

3. c0052350 macrumors member

fine using virtualisation

not tried the bootcamp route although in the past I've read that it does work.
    I'm using fusion 3.1 and win7 64bit works fine.

4. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

It can be done!

Yes it sure works, I have a 2007 8C 3.0 and have installed bootcamp with W7 64bit Pro, when I get the chance I'll find the links and post it for you.

Garen

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's to do with the ISO spec that the disks are using (EFI32 can't handle versioning). Fortunately, there is a workaround (Jowie Method). :)

6. thirdkind macrumors member

Here's the method I used to create a Win7 DVD that's bootable on my 2006 Mac Pro. Looks the same as the Jowie method, but I found it easier to follow.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have a 2006 Mac Pro running Win7 64. All I did was format one of my drives with Boot Camp, then reformat it with my Windows install disk and install Windows. It's pretty easy. :D

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

What form of installation media did you have; Retail, Download, OEM/System Builder ... ?

9. chrisw87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys, seems possible atleast. Unfortunately C alan your link doesn't seem to work. I have noticed that the mac is also only running the old Tiger OS (mac OS X 10.4.10) does anyone think this is a problem and is it worth upgrading the mac OS? Also incase it makes a difference the model identifier is MacPro2,1

Anymore help would be useful, I am supposed to make a decision by Friday of what needs purchasing to make this happen.

10. Whaditis macrumors regular

I would recommend first to upgrade to snow leopard and then load win7 64bit via bootcamp.

This should do it.

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

ISO from Microsoft's website that I burned to a DVD.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ah. No versioning on that one (Retail are; the License Key directs what files/versions to be installed).