64 bit Windows 7 on aluminum macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by likemyorbs, Mar 1, 2010.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I tried installing 64 bit windows 7 on my "collectors edition" macbook. i could install 64 bit bootcamp utility in it because it said this computer is not compatible with it. i called up apple and after looking into it they told me this model actually does not support 64 bit, only 32 bit windows. has anyone successfully gotten around this?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

As far as I know, the unibody MacBook is 64-bit capable. What is your problem? I'm a little confused as where you're stuck. Did the problem occur when partitioning your HDD or when you're actually installing Windows 7?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

While technically capable, if you check out the support document about Win7 64-bit, the particular model isn't listed as such. I'd wager it has something to do with Apple removing SL-64bit kernel support from the model as well.

4. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I was able to get it installed. But when i went to install bootcamp tools 64 bit with my snow leopard disk, it would not install.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U need to go into the Apple folder and launch that 64 bit launch file to install all the drivers.

6. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

I had this same issue. I can't remember where, but I found this little work-around:

1. Open an elevated command prompt (on the Start menu, search for 'cmd', right-click, and Run as Administrator)
    2. In the command prompt, switch to your optical drive (probably 'D:')
    3. Type 'cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple" and hit enter
    4. Type 'msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi' and hit enter

Obviously, all of that typed stuff should be without the single quotes, though the double quotes in step 3 are necessary. After hitting enter in step 4, Boot Camp and driver setup should go normally.

I've been using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit since release on my Aluminum non-Pro MacBook 2.4 ghz with no problems.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! worked like magic! but i still think that should be supported by apple, a little ridiculous i had to do that to get it to work.