Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have a sony vaio that did not come with restore discs. However I want to reinstall windows on it. First is there a way to do this? is the windows serial somewhere in the computer as I have an xp disc.

Also, I am a member of msdnaa so I get xp free. I used the xp license for bootcamp. However, I also get the xp 64 bit version for free as well through msdnaa. Is there a way to use that serial on regular xp as the vaio is not 64bit? Is this legal?

Also, does anyone know when vista will come to msdnaa?

thanks

dunawaydk

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2007
I have a sony vaio that did not come with restore discs. However I want to reinstall windows on it. First is there a way to do this? is the windows serial somewhere in the computer as I have an xp disc.

Also, I am a member of msdnaa so I get xp free. I used the xp license for bootcamp. However, I also get the xp 64 bit version for free as well through msdnaa. Is there a way to use that serial on regular xp as the vaio is not 64bit? Is this legal?

Also, does anyone know when vista will come to msdnaa?

thanks

The Product Key should be on the Windows XP sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
cool its still there. so when i reinstall it will i be able to activate it? that may be a silly question but i have not done too much with windows in terms of insatlling more than once

dunawaydk

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2007
cool its still there. so when i reinstall it will i be able to activate it? that may be a silly question but i have not done too much with windows in terms of insatlling more than once

Yes - that OEM Product Key should successfully reinstall on that computer (assuming that the hash value hasn't changed - i.e. that happens when the motherboard has been replaced).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
An OEM key won't work with a retail CD. You'll need to use the OEM install CD if you want to use that key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.