Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firoban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
I am confused as to which option to choose. As for my usage Ihave about 5 GB of music and i take a lot of pictures (have 2 kids and use iphone as main camera). I am taking back up of my pictures on my laptop once a month right now.

I am not sure if I can buy 64 GB phone (which is about $120 higher in price) and keep everything on it or spend $12 a year and buy icloud storage of 20GB.

I know it differs from person to person but I cant make up my mind and its almost 24 hours to go for pre-orders at 12 AM tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Really? is it that hard?

its 12GB or 60GB :confused: after you minus the iOS.

The same answers for the last 5 iPhones. If you use your iPhone for just calling and not gonna take photos then go with the base model. :eek:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I'd always choose the local storage. As long as data caps are a thing, the cloud will never reach it's potential.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I'd always choose the local storage. As long as data caps are a thing, the cloud will never reach it's potential.

No doubt. Not like I'm going to stream movie over data. Or music, for that matter. And since Apple cheaped out on us with only 16GB on the base model, the 64GB is a no-brainer.

firoban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Really? is it that hard?

its 12GB or 60GB :confused: after you minus the iOS.

The same answers for the last 5 iPhones. If you use your iPhone for just calling and not gonna take photos then go with the base model. :eek:
Thank you for your reply.

Its actually 32 GB (20 GB icloud + 12 GB on phone) vs 60 GB.

And I hope you never have to work in retail/customer service ever.

----------

I'd go for the 64GB version. I'd figure out a way to get the extra money.
Money is not an issue right now but I always sell my phone before launch of new iphone to upgrade so resale value is concern and in past 64 GB models loose most value.
I think I will go with 64 GB i hope they have enough stock for 64 GB.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Money is not an issue right now but I always sell my phone before launch of new iphone to upgrade so resale value is concern and in past 64 GB models loose most value.

That won't be the case this time because there is no 32GB model. 128GB will likely be the niche product this time around

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
64 is definitely the choice over 16. It's amazing how fast 12GBs can run out. And cloud storage doesn't help with apps.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
That won't be the case this time because there is no 32GB model. 128GB will likely be the niche product this time around

100% correct. Just would add the following.

First local storage is a better experience.
Save money on data depending on your plan.
icloud resale value really sucks.
Decreased battery performance.
With the 32 GB version not available, and the difference between 16 and 64 so great. The demand for the 64 GB will be high. I bet the resale value of the 64gb will be 50$-75$ more then the 16 GB. I would not be surprised if it was even more, like 100$. I would rather pick up a nice 64gb 5s for 300$ used then a 16 GB iPhone 6.

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
64GB. Unless you have some sort of crazy amount of data per month on your carrier, you will always want more storage. As I told my parents when I recommended my dad get a 32GB iPad Air, it's not necessarily because you need 64GB of storage. It's because he needed at least 15GB of storage -- the 16GB models only allow you to use about 14 -- based on how he had been using it. My mom takes a ton of photos, and she fills her phone up because she never plugs it in to sync to her computer and then delete from the camera roll.

firoban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
100% correct. Just would add the following.

First local storage is a better experience.
Save money on data depending on your plan.
icloud resale value really sucks.
With the 32 GB version not available, and the difference between 16 and 64 so great. The demand for the 64 GB will be high. I bet the resale value of the 64gb will be 50$-75$ more then the 16 GB. I would not be surprised if it was even more, like 100$. I would rather pick up a nice 64gb 5s for 300$ used then a 16 GB iPhone 6.

64GB. Unless you have some sort of crazy amount of data per month on your carrier, you will always want more storage. As I told my parents when I recommended my dad get a 32GB iPad Air, it's not necessarily because you need 64GB of storage. It's because he needed at least 15GB of storage -- the 16GB models only allow you to use about 14 -- based on how he had been using it. My mom takes a ton of photos, and she fills her phone up because she never plugs it in to sync to her computer and then delete from the camera roll.
I am 100% sure now that I will get 64 GB iphone 6+. Thank you everyone for responding.

Only if choosing colour would be as easy.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Thank you for your reply.

Its actually 32 GB (20 GB icloud + 12 GB on phone) vs 60 GB.

And I hope you never have to work in retail/customer service ever.

Yeah if you have an iPhone and you know what you've done in the past, then it's not that hard to decide. if you use your iPhone as your main camera then you will need space especially when the iPhone has more pixels and crazy video options.

Remember iOS 7 is atleast 5GB. If you go with the 16GB and you said that you've already put 5GB on your iPhone then you are left with a 6GB iPhone. :(

If I was working in retail I would ask " what do you want to do with the iPhone". I would tell it like it is so that people will know what they are getting into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.