64 GB of memory and iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Another new theory for everyone (are you sick of it yet?? 15 hours!)

The iPhone is rumored to have a 64 GB version. As we all know, the iPod Touch and iPad lines already has a 64 GB version, which actually has two 32 GB NAND flash modules. The reason the iPhone 4 only has 32 GB total is that there is literally only one flash memory slot inside of it, likely due to space issues (and therefore, only one 32 GB module).

I believe the 64 GB NAND chips may still be cost-prohibitive, and may not make sense in an iPhone 4S.

However, if they redesign the iPhone 5, there is a decent likelihood that the increased size (the phone will be larger to accommodate the larger screen) would allow Apple to put 2 NAND memory slots into the iPhone 5. It would make sense as to why the redesign and the larger memory are being leaked together - Apple could put two 32 GB chips in the iPhone 5.

Thoughts?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think we are going to see 64GB regardless of a redesign, and I don't think we will actually see a redesign.

It's what I'm hoping for the most. I think they are finally going to put it in.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

If there is an iPhone 5 tomorrow (which there won't be :( ) it will be thinner and therefore won't have the extra room it'll need for two modules.

4. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

The iPod touch is significantly thinner and has the room. I think Apple could wiggle it in. We're losing some depth, but gaining height and width.

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Yes, the 2012 model iphone re-desgin will have 64GB NAND storage.

Happy? I'm not.

6. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

iPod touch has two slots

the iPhone has 3g chip, gps chip, wifi sensors, thicker camera, better display

It may be possible for 64GB but it surely won't be a guarantee than 64GB iphone will come.

7. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

the iPhone 3gs debuted with a 32gb.

i find it hard to believe a 64gb chip is more cost prohibitive in fall 2011 than a 32gb chip in summer 2009.

not to say i think apple will produce one, but i don't think it's a cost/space issue at this point. (but i'm really hoping for it)

8. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

The comes a point at which it becomes very difficult to make memory smaller.

I do somewhat agree with others though, it's a questionable theory at best.

9. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a