64 gb or 128gb?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NoShoreGuy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

Hi,

Will probably be getting the new iPad when it comes out, want the 3G but not sure of the size, 64 or 128gb? What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    Dan

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I no longer own an iPad, but when I did, I had the 64gb model. I never got anywhere even remotely close to that, and so there was much wasted space in my case. Even after several thousand photos, many movies in VLC, all my 25gb of music and all my apps, I was still only hitting around 45gb. Also, there hasn't been any confirmation of a 128gb model yet. But I'd suggest unless you're going to have dozens of movies on it at a time there is no need for 128gb.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Books take up little to no space as do most apps, however there are a number of apps that are self-contained and store relatively large amounts of data on your iPad (the delightful Elements app or GPS maps or magazine apps that store downloaded graphic content). Otherwise, unless you're going off for a long vacation 64 should be fine. As noted, 128GB does not and may not exist for a while, so likely a moot point.

4. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I think 128g might be a bit much. I had the 64g, and it would have been better if I'd have got the 32g instead. I think that's the perfect size. Apps haven't gotten that big yet and you can stream just about anything else.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think it depends entirely on your specific usage/needs. Kind of like asking how many bedrooms do you need your new house to have. :)

Look at how big your music/movie/video library is now. How much of that will you carry on your ipad? Add a half dozen gig for apps and books, less if you don't think you'd load a gps navigation app.

Personally, I find a 32GB model works for me just fine with no space constraints. I also don't carry any movies, and only a handful of TV shows converted from my Tivo to iPad format/size.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Just to reiterate, it's impossible to predict what new "must-have" apps appear on the horizon so I'd always aim a little higher than my present needs. I remember when I bought my first 2GB hard drive and I thought "there's no way I'll ever be able to fill this...."

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Depends on what you do.

Almost filled up my 64GB iPad. I have >200GB of music but only 10GB are on the iPad, the rest are all the awesome iPad apps. I might buy the 128GB.

8. NoShoreGuy thread starter macrumors regular

9. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I really hope there's a 128gb. I love streaming via Netflix but I've ripped so many of my own DVDs that aren't available to stream and it's nice to have them along for areas of spotty 3G and/or plane rides.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Apple will probably leave out the 128 GB upgrade until 2012. I'm wiling to bet we won't see a 64 GB iPhone until then either.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

I, too have a ton of ripped DVD content. You can still store them on SD cards and use the Camera Connection Kit under 4.2.1 (won't work with some flash drives, but SD is still good) to play them on the iPad. The trick is to rename them using 8 characters and popping them into the DCIM folder on the card.

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Isn't a working SD card slot one of the Rumors for iPad2 ? One that will actually work from the get go, and not require an update in the future?

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

At this point a tire inflator can be one of the rumors. A rumor is worth its weight in dog crap. Anyone seeking attention or traffic to their website can call something a rumor. John Dvorak was notorious for saying that any time he criticized an Apple product his traffic increased by a huge percentage (= money in his pocket). Some "rumors" are plausible, others are not. Apple has yet to introduce removable storage into any of its mobile devices and it's a large stretch of the imagination to say that an SD card is likely for the iPad. For proof, look at how they've been restricting use of the Camera Connector Kit.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There is no 128gb and it's a little presumptuous to assume there will be isn't it :confused:

15. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I hope there's a 128GB model for the sole reason that it would lower the price of the 64GB model ;)

16. danielveeee macrumors regular

I don't see why people spend so much for 64gb.
    Maybe it's because I only store a little music and no videos only netflix

17. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Nice! Thanks.
    hoping for a microSD card slot but otherwise I'll use that option.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'll go out on a limb and speculate it's because people's needs, usage and budgets differ? If you never take it outside your house then a 16GB WiFi model may be perfect. If you travel for long periods for business or pleasure then maybe you'd want more on-board storage and 3G. If one model suited the vast majority of buyers then Apple would pare down the offerings eventually. Apparently with 15 million users there are a lot of variations.