64 gb ssd $75

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s.hasan546, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Tonepoet, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

Confused at how great a deal it is? Eh, don't be too much. To my understanding, the Kingston SSDNow V drives are kinda old and have poorer specs when compared to more modernized Solidstate Drives. It's probably a clearance sale. It'll still outperform a rotational HDD by a fair margin, I do so believe but I don't recall precisely by how much. I think Tom's might have an article on running four of them in a RAID 0 array somewhere... If you can only utilize one at a time, you can sometimes get really good prices for better SSDs at Newegg on shellshocker deals but it's a somewhat rare occurrence.

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

It's important to note that the SSD the OP posted is a V100 series, which is a little bit newer than the one you linked to.

3. Tonepoet, Apr 7, 2011

Hmm, I was doing some checking to see what the features might be on Newegg and you're right. It looks like Kingston made a lot of different models under the same branding and capacity now that I take a closer look on Newegg. Should've checked that first.

The one O.P. refers to in particular appears to've had a firmware bug if you check thereviewsthat made them fail. Kingston claims to've fixed it so it might be a better deal than I thought, just with a bad rep.

Interesting, albeit Newegg's specs don't mention controller based Garbage Collection like it normally would, only TRIM. Its long term usefulness under non-Windows Operating Systems might be limited as write performance decreases perhaps?

4. s.hasan546 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not confused on the deal. More about what i should do for my setup. I was gonna go with a Crucial C300 64 gb. but than i realized i need a 120 gb atleast b.c i want a 30 gb partition for running parallels & Windows. But the cheapest 120-128 gb ssd's are $200+

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

$199 for a vertex 2 on amazon.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Too bad I need 10x the storage as that thing offers.

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Optibay?

8. DarkFlame macrumors regular

If you have a 6GBps its worth paying to use the pipe. Huge difference in performance, night and day.

9. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Oh definitely. But if you're on a budget...

10. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I think it's a good deal. Newegg sells them for $127.00 so that makes this a deal. My applications folder and OS takes about 50GB. I think I'm going to wait for the 128GB to go down a bit as that may be a little too tight for room. :cool

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Same. I'm on my 4th HD upgrade.

12. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I think it's a good deal. Newegg sells them for $127.00 so that makes this a deal. My applications folder and OS takes about 50GB. I think I'm going to wait for the 128GB to go down a bit as that may be a little too tight for room. :cool:

13. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

I have the 128Gb V Series SSD for about a year now in my late 2008 Macbook pro. Works like a charm, not the fastest SSD out there though, but you will notice a difference from the stock HDD you get. It does have an issue I have found out due to OS X's lack of TRIM. If you fill the disk all the way up it's performance will essentially be back to a HDD. Only way to remedy this is a reformat and re-instal of the OS.

Lion will make you glad you got it, TRIM is supported finally.
    Runs a little warm, power consumption I dunno, I've seen slightly shorter battery life. It's never been a deal breaker though.

Only thing I would be concerned about if I were you is how much of the drive I would utilize. As long as theres 3-5GB of free space left you should be okay, you wouldn't see a performance hit.

Hope that helps! :)

14. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Have you tried the TRIM enabler patch?

15. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

Yes, I also use DiglloydsTools SSD recondition tool.

16. s.hasan546 thread starter macrumors 6502

So do i. However, i have 2 1 TB externals setup through my AEBS. In my house i can access any of my files, and i have it setup with my mobile me so i can access my files anywhere i have internet. So i wouldn't ever need more than 120 gb on my computer. And even than i only need 120 b.c i want to run windows with about 30 gb.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I thought this Kingston was a 2nd Gen Intel X-25 rebranded??? :eek:

18. bizzle macrumors 6502a

E and M series are, not V100.

19. Tonepoet, Apr 7, 2011

Although I'd actually recommend giving Windows a little more room, FAT 32 might not give you that option. At any rate you're really only accounting for up to 94gb of space, possibly with a little extra overhead required for the extra O.S. partition. Here's Newegg's selection of 96GB drives which has some a couple of other Kingstons that dip slightly down below the $200 budget. There might be others but I don't know where to get them.

If you have a free expresscard slot, you could also consider buying a 24GB filemate solidgo to use as a sidekick. You'll still need a SATA SSD since Windows only boots off of the primary SATA connector. However if you use it as an OSX boot drive, you might get a little further flexibility out of your options. Alternatively using it as a FAT drive so you could utilize NTFS on your Windows partition might not be such a bad idea, for instance and allow you to share an extra 24GB across both operating systems and make a nifty thumdrive alternative in addition with the miniusb port on the other side. More importantly, it could also allow you to go down to 80GB drives for 104GB of space total, if you can find one for cheap enough.

20. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I have the V+ series which has a built in garbage collection and uses the same controller as the Apple SSD's. Seems to be working great so far!

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It's worth noting that this drive is still significantly faster than the quickest enterprise level HDDs. The falling costs of the 100-128GB SSDs has seemed to have driven the price of smaller SSDs down. I've seen 40GB SSDs for under $50. I imagine it is because the 100+ GB level is where one can begin to run most of their 'common' files, where as a 40-64 is limited to the OS and core files. 128 works great for me, but 64 would require a second hard drive.