64 gig intel x25-e for 2.4 uMB-worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by clyde2801, Jun 14, 2009.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Came across a 64 gig intel x25-3 on CL for $475-approximately 1 month old. Knowing that the storage space is limited on it-obviously-and that I'm likely to be cut by being on the bleeding edge of technology, would the enhanced performance make it worth the price?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, it's worth it. Are you sure you need it now? SSDs prices comes down avery day, so I'd wait few months and see what happens

3. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

No, I don't truly NEED it, what's that got to do with it? :eek:

I put in a seagate 7200.4 in my machine a day or two ago for some added oomph, and I started noticing a hum. My macbook was vibrating on my desktop after the new drive, and it's annoying. It's about to go back to best buy.

You are right, dang it. The smart choice would be to just put my stock drive back in the machine and wait for ssd capacities to rise and prices to fall. Listening to the people who have SSDs in their machines rave about them just gets me itchin' a bit. If it would make the macbook run like a bat outta hell, though...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would love to have SSD in my iMac but I'm still waiting for lower prices and bigger/faster SSDs to come.

It's your choice, mate. If you're ready to spend ~500$ for a SSD, then sure. I would stick with stock HD or 3rd party 7200rpm for 6 months at least.

But yea, your choice

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The x-25 e is the best SSD on the market. At that price, it's more than worth it.