640GB in MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Hi. I have been shopping for a 640GB hard drive to put in my mid-09 unibody MBP. The cheapest thing I can think of doing I'd buying this WD My Passport Essentials external drive and harvesting it's HDD. However, my research indicates that while some of these have removable hard dives, others have the USB card for the enclosure integrated into the HDD.

Does anyone know if this one has a removable hard drive? Has anyone succesfully used this drive to upgrade their Macbook Pro?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...-NESN&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218118267562

2. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

no, but if WD6400BEVT is what you are looking for, macsales, newegg and amazon selling them

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

None of the WD drives have the USB/Firewire/eSata integrated. All of them are regular hard drives with a SATA to whatever controller that simply plugs into the bottom.

4. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Thanks. I have also heard that some of these drives that WD puts into the portable enclosures have only 2mb of cache? Can anyone confirm/deny that for this model?

5. cosmonaut23 macrumors member

I've just put one of these drives into my 15" MPB this weekend. (WD 640gb, WD6400BEVT). The operation seem to go without a hitch. My first impression was that it was noticably slower and less snappy than the original Samsung 5.4k 250gb drive i took out, which is disappointing. Noisier too. I have also since noticed that quite a lot of the data, ( media files in particular), seem to be corrupted. (Boots & runs fine otherwise).

I cloned it using disk utility (whilst booting from the install DVD) over Firewire 800. After i noticed the corruption problem, i erased and performed the whole clone again, including verification, but there still seems to be substantial file corruption.

So right now I'm on the verge of putting the old drive back in. I don't know whether it's a problem with the drive, but if it's not that I can't really see what it could be. Odd that it verified ok in disk utility too.

Anyway, the upshot is, if i can't figure out what's causing this, I'll be sending this drive back and probably getting a different make. (Samsung most likely.)

Any pointers most appreciated.

6. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I can't give any tech advice but from personal experience I have NEVER had a HD with any problems that got BETTER. If you can exchange it I would for sure. Seems once something goes wrong with them it is an ugly down slope to death. I know I am a sample of one but that's my experience with several HDs.

7. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I ended up returning the one I bought, for much the same reasons. I'd say it's the drive. My main partition kept becoming corrupted, and the performance of this drive is VERY poor.

Return the drive, get a nice 500GB Seagate 7200

8. cosmonaut23 macrumors member

Thanks guys. Actually i had my eyes on the rather tidy looking new Hitachi Travelstar 7k500 500gb one. If you believe the hype they're both fast and good on power consumption. Plus in my experience they tend to be a reliable make...

9. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Yup. That'd be a great choice for a drive. Good luck with it.

10. cosmonaut23 macrumors member

Only problem being no one seems to be selling them yet. (In the UK anyway). And that's 2 months after launch. Quite strange.

11. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

That's odd. Well, Seagate's model is very comparable in performance and durability. You might consider giving that a try.

12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

It's a hassle to check on my iPhone but if you check overclockers.co.uk and dabs.com I'm sure I have seen them there.

13. cosmonaut23 macrumors member

Cheers for that CrackedButter. Checked those out but no joy:( Not for the 500gb version of the Travelstar 7k500 anyway. Deskstars yes, but i have a feeling they might be a bit of a tight squeeze!

14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

What about the Seagate drive, they have them I just bought one?

15. cosmonaut23 macrumors member

Having had to return over half our recently purchased Seagate server drives for work in the last few months, i'm starting to doubt their commitment to reliability. Shame, as they used to be superb. I've heard it's because they've moved production recently.

Personally i would always go with reliability over modest performance considerations. Hitachi seem to have the edge on both at the moment.