6490m gaming benchmarks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alpha.K, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Alpha.K macrumors member

Could people with the baseline 15" please post gaming benchmarks for it as information on that gpu is quite sparse.

2. evren macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide between 6490/6750 myself as well and couldn't find anything on the internet regarding 6490 :( All tech websites seem to be using the 6750 model for their 15" reviews...

3. Lloydehhh macrumors member

Also looking for these becnhmarks, anybody who has the 6490m model please run some gaming tests/ benchmarks! :D

4. StatutoryGrapes macrumors newbie

Same here. I would love to see FSX benchmarks for the 6490m.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Judging by the specs, I would pin its performance somewhere between the 320m in the 2010 13" and the 330m in the 2010 15". Older games like Half-Life 2 will likely run well, but newer stuff will struggle. The 15" base model is probably not a good buy if you plan on gaming much.

There will be benchmarks soon enough, but don't expect much performance-wise.

6. billgates99 macrumors regular

From what I have read on notebookcheck.com, the 6490M seems to be an entry level card updated with GDDR5.

The 6750M is a new card based on the same die used for the 5650M card, which is a decent mid-level laptop card, also updated with GDDR5.

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

I really don't understand Apple's 'wisdom' or 'cheapness', by putting in a discrete chip that's almost as slow as the HD3000 integrated into sandy bridge! Not to mention that's it's slower than the GT330M of the last gen at the same price point.

8. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

I'm looking at the 15 too, trying to decide which to get. I've currently got a PC laptop with the 420m. Would you say that the 6750 is about equal to that or what? I just want to make sure I don't get anything worse.

9. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Keep an eye on the Bare Feats website. They should have benchmarks sometime next week.

10. billgates99 macrumors regular

It should be significantly faster than the 420M, but a few 2011 MBP buyers have complained about crashing when playing Steam games - maybe it needs a driver update
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-420M.35837.0.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103825

Another thing to consider is that some people have been successful in unlocking NVIDIA laptop cards to work with CS5's gpu acceleration for Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop. I doubt it would work with the 420m, but I don't know much about how to unlock cards for this purpose.

11. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Sweet, thanks! I played Dead Space 2 on high without any issues on the 420. Sounds like the 6750 is the gamer video card.

12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

It probably wasn't a decision that they made lightly. Apple has this trend of prioritizing one thing or another when they release updated laptops. Last year was all about the GPU. To paraphrase jobs from last year "A fast GPU is more important than a fast processor."

This year, its all about speed, more specifically, I/O speed and processor speed. The components that they concentrate on are more likely due to circumstance rather than some sort of strategic planning. Maybe the partnership with Nvidia broke down, or perhaps the cost of pioneering the thunderbolt port required them to really skimp on the other components. Apple isn't going to cut into their high profit margins in order to provide base model buyers with better performance.

13. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

This. Not speculation. Actual benchmarks.

I will have mine Wednesday, and I will post benchmarks TO DEATH if people don't post ACTUAL BENCHMARKS by then. If I am the first one to post actual benchmarks for this thing, I will be upset, as it'll nearly be a week after the thing came out.

14. smetvid macrumors 6502

Perhaps many of the people that bought the base 15" are doing a BTO option which means nobody has theirs yet.

In fact my apple store where i live is closed for renovations once again and will not even be open until tuesday. That store seems to close a lot.

15. macthismacthat macrumors member

macthismacthat

This is strange to me too. I'm also choosing at the moment between 15" and 13" because my budget is limited. Hence I've asked in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102149
    for someone to show me FPS numbers(World of Warcraft,I do a little gaming :D) on the 13"/15"(6490M) and heating issues. Guess what!?..there is still nothing on the 15",not a soul. Could this model become the worst selling Macbook Pro ever?
    My point is that nobody is willing to purchase this lower end model. My criticism goes to Apple:
    Why did they made so much difference in GPU power?!:mad:
    Never mind the VRAM numbers 256MB Vs 1024MB....look at the bus: 64 bit vs 128 bit, I mean I'm not complaining because my budget is tight......but come on...I know that I can buy the 13 higher end and buy myself a dissent gaming PC for the money difference to the 15" model(higher end). My point/question is:
    Is it wrong to want a dissent 15" Macbook Pro for 1800 Euros,or you will have to spend another 400 Euros just for the word(dissent).
    Cheers.

16. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

A good chunk of users don't understand these differences anyway though. They only understand what they've been taught about computers by advertising, and Apple can definitely share the blame for this, along with all other manufacturers. It used to be all about numbers, the bigger, the better. Take a look at this update from the perspective of an uninformed consumer (they are a huge percentage of any computer manufacturer's customer base).

Keep in mind, I'm only basing this off of numbers...obviously I understand the difference between a 2.0ghz i7 and a 3.4ghz Pentium 4.

The processor speed went: DOWN
    The GPU stayed the: SAME
    The RAM stayed the: SAME
    The HDD stayed the: SAME

It looks like a downgrade to this type of customer. Its an advertising blunder that was unavoidable at this point, due to the way we are progressing with technology. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Apple, in the future, advertising something like a quad core i7 as: "8ghz of processing power, spread over 4 cores."

17. mark28 macrumors 68000

Some benchmarks have been posted already on this board. Now i'm doing this from memory for Call of Duty 4.

2.2 ghz Quad Core i7 ATI 6750 - 81 fps
    2.4 ghz i5 Dual Core 330m - 63 fps
    2.0 ghz Quad Core i7 ATI 6490 - 51 fps.

Someone else on this board couldn't play Starcraft 2 fluently on medium settings with the ATI 6490m too.

18. Alpha.K thread starter macrumors member

Can't wait because nobody seems to be interested in the base 15"

19. billgates99 macrumors regular

From the description on notebookcheck, the 6490M really seems to be an entry level video card updated with GDDR5.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6490M.43843.0.html

Hard to predict how much faster it will be because of this, so the best thing would be to continue waiting and see some posted gaming benchmark scores.

If I had to guess based on the info we have available, if you want decent fps at 1680x1050, I would go with the 6750M.

20. mashsensor macrumors member

21. Toxsin macrumors newbie

I'm scared :confused: this is the one thing I'm worried about (between the 2 2011 15")

22. mashsensor macrumors member

Why are you getting a macbookpro to play games with in the first place?
    The difference you save between the low end 15 and the high end 15 can probably get you a pc desktop with a card that rapes all the mbps :p

Are you planning on playing D3 at Starbucks? :p

23. alexxk macrumors 6502

You know, this refreash is just ridiculous.....

I've been waiting for this for 4 month and I have no clue wich MBP to get.... I wasn't planning spending 2,200 on a high end but it's the ONLY one really worth it.

I'm using a 5 year old PC (2,200 on geekbench btw LOL) and right now I just don't knwo what to do...

I might just wait forthe ipad 2 announcement and depending I might just get the white macbook and get an ipad 2, cause spend 2,200 on a single machine is just too much money nowadays...

24. Toxsin macrumors newbie

Lol noooo...god forbid I ever fit that label (no offense to those that do, just not my style)

I'm getting a MBP 1st and foremost b/c someone cut my umbilical cord to windows while I was sleeping a few months back. Haven't been the same since.

Secondly I'm not a big gamer by any means...between this and maybe Skyrim I probably won't play any games on it other than flash ones during a boring class at school.

Third as I mentioned above, school. I go to college and still have a little over a year left and would rather not invest in a laptop AND a desktop.

Fourth the price difference is only about $325...not enough for a kick ass PC...