6490m Gaming Performance (Skyrim & BF3)

JazzyFizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hi all. I got my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro with the 6490m just a couple weeks ago and I am just here to clear up some questions about how it performs.

In Skyrim I can play with high textures and everything else set to medium with a resolution of 1440x900 at around a stable 25+ FPS. This is very playable for me.

BF3 gets about 25 average with everything set to LOW. This is still very playable and I only tested it on the opening level (which even lags a bit on my gaming desktop). I have yet to test it on the multiplayer maps which are much better optimised so you will probably expect 25+ FPS.

I haven't upgraded my graphic drivers yet! Which means when I work out how to do it, I might even get BETTER performance still!

This basically means that I am set up for gaming even on the low end. I was a bit worried about whether I could play my two games of the year (BF3 is probably my game of the next 5 years), so it's great that I can play them without lag issues.

The lack of VRAM doesn't seem to be an issue. I am actually surprised at how well this little beauty runs my games. Portal 2 is flawless too.

So if you want a refurbished/2nd hand MacBook Pro, the 6490m model isn't actually as bad as most people say it is. I can run BF3 FINE!

:D

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi all. I got my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro with the 6490m just a couple weeks ago and I am just here to clear up some questions about how it performs.

In Skyrim I can play with high textures and everything else set to medium with a resolution of 1440x900 at around a stable 25+ FPS. This is very playable for me.

BF3 gets about 25 average with everything set to LOW. This is still very playable and I only tested it on the opening level (which even lags a bit on my gaming desktop). I have yet to test it on the multiplayer maps which are much better optimised so you will probably expect 25+ FPS.

I haven't upgraded my graphic drivers yet! Which means when I work out how to do it, I might even get BETTER performance still!

This basically means that I am set up for gaming even on the low end. I was a bit worried about whether I could play my two games of the year (BF3 is probably my game of the next 5 years), so it's great that I can play them without lag issues.

The lack of VRAM doesn't seem to be an issue. I am actually surprised at how well this little beauty runs my games. Portal 2 is flawless too.

So if you want a refurbished/2nd hand MacBook Pro, the 6490m model isn't actually as bad as most people say it is. I can run BF3 FINE!

:D
good info i was wonder if BF3 was playable,

what do you use for a gamepad for gaming? or do you use the mouse keyboard combo

JazzyFizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
good info i was wonder if BF3 was playable,

what do you use for a gamepad for gaming? or do you use the mouse keyboard combo
I just plug my USB mouse into it and use the built in keyboard.

I can run Dirt 2 demo high without lag (haven't test Dirt 3). So I might get an xbox 360 gamepad to play Dirt & Skyrim :)

I should also add that BF3 looks great on low. It is actually hard to see the difference between low and ultra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.