6490m Gaming Performance (Skyrim & BF3)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JazzyFizzle, Nov 30, 2011.

1. JazzyFizzle macrumors member

Hi all. I got my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro with the 6490m just a couple weeks ago and I am just here to clear up some questions about how it performs.

In Skyrim I can play with high textures and everything else set to medium with a resolution of 1440x900 at around a stable 25+ FPS. This is very playable for me.

BF3 gets about 25 average with everything set to LOW. This is still very playable and I only tested it on the opening level (which even lags a bit on my gaming desktop). I have yet to test it on the multiplayer maps which are much better optimised so you will probably expect 25+ FPS.

I haven't upgraded my graphic drivers yet! Which means when I work out how to do it, I might even get BETTER performance still!

This basically means that I am set up for gaming even on the low end. I was a bit worried about whether I could play my two games of the year (BF3 is probably my game of the next 5 years), so it's great that I can play them without lag issues.

The lack of VRAM doesn't seem to be an issue. I am actually surprised at how well this little beauty runs my games. Portal 2 is flawless too.

So if you want a refurbished/2nd hand MacBook Pro, the 6490m model isn't actually as bad as most people say it is. I can run BF3 FINE!

:D

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good info i was wonder if BF3 was playable,

what do you use for a gamepad for gaming? or do you use the mouse keyboard combo

3. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

I just plug my USB mouse into it and use the built in keyboard.

I can run Dirt 2 demo high without lag (haven't test Dirt 3). So I might get an xbox 360 gamepad to play Dirt & Skyrim :)

I should also add that BF3 looks great on low. It is actually hard to see the difference between low and ultra.