6490m, quad core cMBP for $1099, worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GD0X, Apr 10, 2013.

1. GD0X Guest

So, at the moment im stuck using a budget HP laptop from 2010 or so.
    Im looking into mac laptops (which will be complimented with the full size ipad) to be used during a variety of settings.
    I'm in school right now, so the typical work and relaxation requests are standard, but I am also starting to look into creating 3-models, photoshop, coding, selling stock, and relaxing a little bit more with some StarCraft 2 (native res and medium settings). So i was wondering if this old quad core macbook pro with the 6490m is a good buy for my requests as well as the price (it's pre-owned from Micro Center... if available, ill buy their extended warranty, an ssd, and more ram).

but what do you think?
    is this a good buy or should i save up for a 15" retina? I would almost hate buying a refurb macbook pro retina just because i cant justify the price increase for components I wouldnt really ever max out at anytime (aside from pushing SC2).

so, what are your thoughts?

2. Tony0693 macrumors newbie

I played SC2 on this exact model and it was pulling off high-medium settings without the fan getting too loud.

Edited : For that price though, I'd try to get my hands on a 15" with a 6770m.