Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Anybody know if bootcamp shipped with leopard is going to support 64bit windows-xp?

I'd like to get a mac pro once they come with a new upgrade (i heard sometime in mid november maybe) with 8gb ram. and i use xp for certain purposes and need it to be able to get the most out of the 8gb ram.

it would be really stupid if bootcamp can't support 64bit drivers for xp-64.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Not sure but I would like to think so ... :)

Mac Pro with 8 Gb of (Apple) ram, now there's a scary thought !!!!!!
At the price Apple charge for their ram you would need to start planning a bank heist soon .. :eek:

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Not all the drivers are there yet, and unless someone has been frantically writing them in the last couple of weeks, I wouldn't hold my breath for Vista64 support in the initial release of Leopard.

However, it's not quite as daft as it sounds. The problem is that Vista 64 also fails to work on an awful lot of Windows boxen, and application support is still pretty miserable too.

If I were you I'd wait - you may well find that even if you got it running, most of the stuff you wanted to run would be broken...

I make my living as a Systems Admin working with a variety of OSs including Windows XP & Vista. At present, I'm only recommending 64-bit versions of Windows for server use - they're more trouble than they're worth for workstations, and Vista is even worse than XP in that regard.

eianto

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
ALL INTEL DUO 2CORE are 64 bit

BOOT CAMP DOES NOT HAVE TO BE 64bit it is the intel chip. all 2 duo cores are 64 bit.

I installed vista 64bit on my pc intel duo 2 core worked. In stalle don my new imac 24 intel duo 2 core it smokes!!

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
BOOT CAMP DOES NOT HAVE TO BE 64bit it is the intel chip. all 2 duo cores are 64 bit.

I installed vista 64bit on my pc intel duo 2 core worked. In stalle don my new imac 24 intel duo 2 core it smokes!!

And why did you install Vista 64 bit? What is your rationale?

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium

It's not a question of it installing, it clearly does, its just that drivers are still needed for Vista 64bit. I had Vista installed on my MBP, but lacked keyboard support, iSight, BT and Airport....

If there isn't driver support in Bootcamp for Vista64, I'll be merrily selling it and getting Vista 32bit. For my needs I didn't need to get 64 in the first place :rolleyes: :eek:

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
i'm not talking about vista. i want to use xp-64bit and i know intel is 64bit but windows itself needs to understand to use more than "only" 2gb of ram, which i think is not the case with normal windows version.

if i have 8gb ram i wanna make sure windows xp uses them fully. that's why xp 64bit version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.