64Bit iTunes!!!!!....but not on a mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MKCLLNS, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MKCLLNS macrumors member

WHAT!? windows has an opinion for the 64 bit itunes - mac users (like me) don't.

What gives - i understand a lot of users are still on leopard - but at least give us the option for it.

This is another let down for the event in my opinion

2. at&t macrumors newbie

If you think that the 64 version on Windows has true 64 bit support etc you are wrong. The 64 bit version only makes iTunes run on 64 bit systems without errors.. It doesn't get true 64 bit support, it is just as bloated as 32 bit version.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It does, by necessity, have a 64bit iPod driver.

Really though, OP, that version is not what you think it is.

4. MKCLLNS thread starter macrumors member

Just after apple really marketed the 64-bit support for snow leopard, i was expecting them to release itunes in 64-bit.

and was hoping they would have re-wrote it using cocoa - but i don't know if they already do that?

maybe for next year..... when the majority of people will be on snow leopard - i know a lot of people are having a few problems with this new feline.

5. phytonix macrumors 6502

I am also very disappointed...
    Maybe they need to rewrite a large portion of it. Still on going process?

6. milo macrumors 604

So why no 64 bit version, now that pretty much every other included app on 10.6 is?

Is it because it's cross platform, and it really IS hard to do that AND take advantage of OSX coding optimizations?

And is multiprocessor support improved at all in iTunes 9? Does it use all cores for encoding or not?

7. Viremia macrumors regular

Why would iTunes need to be 64 bit? Exactly how much memory should iTunes need to address?

Remember, being 64 bit does not mean the program will run faster and have new features. At this point, running a 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS isn't gonna slow your system down. If it ain't broke, don't break your back to fix it. Eventually, it will probably migrate to 64 bit, but that, in and of itself, will not make it more stable or faster.

8. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

To the OP: Do you have any complaints about iTunes 9 other than the fact that it is still 32 bit? If so, do tell and I'm sure a positive discussion will follow. If your objection is simply that this app, unlike most of the other ones Apple makes, has not been rewritten in cocoa to be 64 bit, the disappointment will eventually pass. One can only hope that this thread provides catharsis for you.

9. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I'm hoping that the additional registers and access to more memory will finally make grid view not stutter when I'm browsing it. It's seriously annoying.

10. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

iTunes does need to be rewritten using Cocoa. The use of Carbon is likely part of the varied problems with it - I'd be saying I want to see a Cocoa iTunes even if it would still be 32-bit.

64-bit would possibly be a performance improvement for audio encoding, assuming it's not already handled by QuickTime X in Snow Leopard.

The reason this hasn't happened yet is that it would be a huge job. Unlike QuickTime X, which they can package QT7 with Snow Leopard and slowly build QTX back up to where QT7 was, iTunes is one of their most popular end-user applications on both sides of the OS divide. They cannot afford to be missing any features after a rewrite - indeed, they should probably still add features to keep the consumers happy. I imagine it's being worked on for "iTunes X", but it could definitely take quite some time to complete without losing any features.