64bit with a Mac Pro 1.1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Paradiseapple, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Paradiseapple macrumors member

In the hope that this subject isn´t too old and boaring for all of you I would like to ask if it is possible to install OSX with 64 bit on a 1.1 2006 Quadcore MacPro from early 2006. My trader and many posts say it is NOT possible, but follwing the kind advice in this forum I could install Logic 9 in 64 bit. Now I can address 9GB of RAM - great. So why is it possible with logic and not with the Snow Leopard?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

32-bit OS X can run 64-bit apps. You don't need to install OS X in 64-bit, you can simply enable its 64-bit kernel but that is not needed, not sure does your Mac Pro even support it as it has 32-bit EFI.

3. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

You can run 64-bit applications with a 32-bit kernel and Apple also supports PAE so the system will recognize up to about 32GB of RAM, IIRC. Since you only have a 32-bit EFI ROM, however, you cannot run the 64-bit kernel.

4. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot. The benefit I get by joining this Forum is really saving me a lot of time and money. Just sad that it is only a one way street, means that you help me and I cannot really help you.

Just one more question: would the usage of 64bit in logic be even better if had 64bit OS X installed or is it the same?

5. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

If you have Snow Leopard installed in your MacPro then you DO HAVE 64 bit operating system but 2006 and 2007 MacPros have 32 EFI which does not allow us to install 64 bit Kernel. Do not confuse 64 bit OS with 64 bit Kernel. I don't have or use Logic but my guess is if it is written to take advantage of 64 bit Kernel it will run faster and address more then 32GB of memory.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt you would notice any difference. I tried 64-bit kernel but couldn't tell the difference

7. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors member

That´s good news for my plans to buy a new Mac Pro. Maybe I wait till the first "revision" end of the year - or even for Sandy Bridge.

8. milo macrumors 604

I've run some Logic benchmarks and there's a difference but a very small one - 64 bit kernel gives about a 5% percent performance boost. Nothing you'd probably notice.