64g or 128g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanEiga, Sep 11, 2015.

1. EvanEiga macrumors regular

So I've always been on the lowest tier iPhone (16G) and it never gave me any problems, until 6+...

I would usually end up having about 2-3 gigs of spaces remaining after all the apps and photos, but somehow I need to constantly delete apps and some photos to mak room on my 6+.

Anyway, with live photo taking 2x of the spaces and me wanting a little more wiggle room, should I just get the 128 gig iPhone 6s this year? i have very minimal apps (about 20 including all the social media and games) and i may need more, and i have close to 2k photos.

is 64 gig enough or should i do 128?

what are you guys buying this time?

2. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

64. Not to sound like an @hole but this is the worst question Ive seen in awhile. If you have 16 and your having 2-3 gigs remaining meaning you use 14gb total lets say. Why would you buy a 128gb... Don't understand? 64 seems plenty!!! I personally buy 64 as well and whatever you mentioned above i took into consideration that i have 70-100 Apps 1k+ photos 1k music 5 - 1-2hour videos and I still have 15-20gb free space. Go for 64gb dont waste your money on 128 its too much.

3. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I was just reading about Live Photos and how it's twice the size of a normal 12mp picture. Also saw that a 16gb phone can take 45 minutes of 4K video. Bigger and better pictures and video, and as always bigger and better apps and games, so now comes the question of size!

Is 64GB still the sweet spot? I opted for the 128GB last year, and while I'm not nearly at 100GB (thanks to Google Photos and a good LTE connection) I was thinking about going down to 64GB, but with all these things happening, I don't know anymore. Maybe 128GB will be better?

What are you thoughts on storage space on the new phones?

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

128GB for me. Most people spring for 64GB anyway, so us 128GBers have a better chance at getting our orders in for the first batch.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

6. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I have a 64, and I'm wrestling with this same question currently.

I upgrade every year, so I'm wondering if I can't hold out at 64 for one more year.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like 64gb, I don't think I've used enough space to justify the 128GB, now with that said, with live photos taking 2x the space, you may want to consider your usage.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Depends on your upgrade cycle IMO. If you only upgrade when your phone's performance is unusable and you're forced into a new one, 128GB is the one to go for. Otherwise if you upgrade every year or on every 'S' cycle/revision, I'd say make the plunge for the 64GB.

I doubt you'll find any recommendations for the 16GB :p

9. EvanEiga thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I would say at where I am at right now in terms of usage, 30-40 gig would be enough. However, with live photo doubling the size and 4k videos, (I've been traveling a lot this year) 60gig may just be enough. 128 gig would be a safe bet.

On a side note, If hypothetically speaking, I fill up my phone with 128gig worth of stuff....how long will a full restore take?

10. sterl320 macrumors 6502

way to not sound like an @hole

11. jbachandouris, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I'm in the same boat. I ordered 128GB last year just because. Not sure what I'm doing this year. Only a few hours to decide.

79GB free on my 128GB.

12. techiebug macrumors 6502a

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I don't even want to know. It takes a little while with the 16GB I have on my 64GB device.
    64GB works for me because everything practically is in the cloud.

14. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I always use to get the max on storage. Last year I didn't and was sorry. I compensated by buying movies from iTunes instead of ripping them and keeping most in iCloud. I have always had my family buy the BlueRay movies I want so no investment on my part. Now I ask for iTune cards and purchased what I want. But, only have a few on the iPhone at any given time. Now with a rMBP I wanted to get a Blueray Ripper and start putting some of my older movies on iPhone also. But, not enough memory. I'll get 128gb.

If you think about it, it is only 5.00 a month more and if you upgrade every year you spend 60.00 for the additional memory. That's based on 12 month NEXT. 20 payments. Not a bad deal IMHO. I know with the clouds it is not as important to have big storage like a few years ago. But, I am not a pro cloud person.

If 5.00 a month is not an issue, go for the max you can get--:)