64GB Apple TV4 Discounted at John Lewis

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Moccasin, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

The smart features on my Panasonic TV are becoming unreliable and so I am looking to buy an Apple TV for the catch up apps. In comparing prices, I found that John Lewis are offering the 64GB version for £139 - which is the RRP for the 32GB option. I wonder whether this heralds an updated ATV - although Curry's still have both models at RRP.

Does anyone have any views as to whether the 64GB is worth getting, given the £10 difference? I'm not planning to use it for much more than Netflix and iPlayer etc

2. hinesmj macrumors regular

Nah, get the 32gb and save yourself the money. I bought the 64 thinking, hey, why not have the extra space just in case. I'm not even close to using even 32gb...

3. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Ah ok - in that case, I may as well get a refurb 32GB from Apple for £109

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

If that is all you are going to use it for then 16gb would be fine if they sold it. My usage hovers around 32gb but seldom goes over. I have all 64gb models just in case. I have only actually seen it go over 32gb usage on 1 of my devices and only noticed that once or twice. Right now it is using about 28gb. But beyond that I also have a live tv streaming app (Channels) on all of my TV's that can use up to 8gb for a live tv streaming buffer for pause/ff/rew. So for sure on my main TV it is using > 32gb at times.

I use Storage Doctor TV to monitor it.

5. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

For catchup TV in UK the ATV is the worst lol, we only have apps for BBC, you have to airplay for other catchup services... so frustrating!

6. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

That's still better than my Panasonic "smart" TV which I have to reset to shopping condition to use All4. After one use it then stops working.

7. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

8. Richard28 macrumors member

I second that.. roku is far far superior in the uk. Apple TV is not even close.