64gb holds value better than 32gb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Matrixx, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Matrixx macrumors newbie

Hello-

I've heard off and on that 64gb iPods/Phones retain value better than 32gb ones, yet I can't really seem to find anything to back this up. Is this true?

Thanks!

-TM

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

They certainly have a higher total resale value. But they don't retain the price gap. On a previous generation used iPhone the price difference on each capacity is $50. So you lose an additional $50 when reselling a 64gb model from the 32gb and $100 from the 16gb.

The best resale value is the lowest capacity current generation. So if you don't need the space get a 16gb model.

Currently you can get an unlocked used 4s 16gb for $350, 32gb for $400 and 64gb for $450 on average. If you scrounge around and are patient you can knock off an additional $50 to $75.

3. AppleStrudel macrumors newbie

AppleStrudel

Best Value

Matrixx, hello. Get the capacity that you actually need for daily use.

:apple: AppleStrudel

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

This. The re-sale value is less, relative to the higher price you paid for it.

That being said, I wouldn't buy a 8GB model just for re-sale value if I really need a 32GB. So just buy the capacity you need.

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

They initially cost more therefore they will cost more used. People always want the largest one anyways.