64gb iPhone 6 replacement on ATT, "unactivated" yet works fine

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeffthemediocre, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jeffthemediocre macrumors newbie

Hi,

My scenerio is unusual, and I'm unsure what my next step should be...I'm hopeful someone has experience betterh than I.

Longtime ATT user - all iPhones were subsidized and on grandfathered data-friendly contract. My 5 started having difficulty with the microphone this spring (my fault), but I was not yet elegible for my upgrade (and the 6 had not yet been announced). I was on the verge of extended summer travel which would make a phone swap-out extremely difficult, and didn't want to leave with a phone I was not-quite-sure-on. I pleaded my case to ATT it helped that t-mobile was offering to buy customers out of existing contracts, so they were eager to make me happy.

I changed from my 3/4 completed subsidized contract to ATT Next, which made me elegible for a new 5s - which I picked up from the store. I used the 5s all summer and when the new 6 was announced and released, I called ATT and they switched me back to the subsidized contract (and I even got to keep my grandfathered data). They sent the 6, I eagerly opened it, put in the SIM from my 5s and went on my merry way - with a perfectly functioning new iphone 6.

I have two choices: I can pay off my 5s ($261) or I can ship it back to ATT...but this is what confuses me. I called ATT today (I needed a new box to ship the 5s) and they have no record of the 6 being "activated" - they asked whether I had recieved the shipment. I couldn't answer because the call was dropped (good timing), but it got me wondering if somehow I slipped through the cracks...and ATT somehow thinks I've continued using my 5s for the last few weeks.

Does anybody have any perspective here? If I ship back my 5s and continue to use ATT service, they will obviously know that I have recieved the 6 and it will likely be activated. If I just keep the 5s - could I just use the same sim card between both devices?

Much thanks,
    JTM

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Which phone does your ATT account say you have?

3. jeffthemediocre thread starter macrumors newbie

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

If it says Iphone 6 then they already know that you have it. Just send back the 5s like you're supposed to.