64gb or 128gb 6+ considering flash storage differences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vgamedude, Dec 18, 2014.

1. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Hello. I think I can get either before Christmas so my question is should the TLC/MLC thing even be a factor in this decision?

2. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

You could get a 64gb 6+ with TLC or MLC so unless you purchase it in-store and check while you're there, you won't know which you're getting. I was lucky to get a 6 with MLC but I don't think it would bother me unless my phone started crashing and rebooting, and then I'd demand one with MLC.

3. thalazy macrumors regular

I had a TLC 64gb

and got my 128gb TLC yesterday. My 64gb never crashed and I had no issues with it except for gb size, I wanted the 128gb and decided if Apple got some in stock I would exchange it. I haven't heard of any 128gb model with MLC. TLC has worked fine for me, I can't say for certain on my 128gb as I only had it for a day, but haven't had any issues.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

I got my 64gb last week and it's a week48 phone. I ran the test and I'm getting 155mbs write speed. I Think that's mlc

5. eclipsevv macrumors member

If you're using PerformanceTest Mobile, 155Mbps is TLC. MLC is around 60Mbps

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Both my 128gb 6 and 6 Plus iPhones have worked without flaw. The memory defect is way overblown.

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

Oh ok. I haven't had any problems really. Just once in a while lag when typing (probably an ios8 thing anyway). But that's rarely. And everything else is perfect so I'm just gonna keep enjoying my phone

8. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

It might be overblown to you because you are not experiencing the problems that others are.

9. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Have not experienced any problems with my 6+ 64gb TLC phone, but did experience a blue followed by a red screen with my 6 64gb MLC phone. Both Space Gray, both Verizon, both jailbroken. 6 was on Pangu clear up to TAIG 8.1 to 8.1.2. 6+ has only been on 8.1 and immediately restored/new to 8.1.2 and JB with TAIG.

Not sure when my 6 was built, but I just sold it to get the 6+. G/F still has a 16gb 6.

My 6+ was built in November at FoxConn.

It's a crap shoot on what you get.

10. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

How can you tell if you got an TLC or MLC phone? Where on your phone can you check for this?

11. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Interesting! this makes me feel better about my 6+ 64GB TLC . I've had no colored screens of death in 6 weeks of use with it.

Did you notice any difference in performance? (without running the benchmark app or whatever)

12. azhava macrumors regular

You have to download an app from an unknown developer on a Chinese website. No thanks, I don't need to know that badly. Whatever is in mine is working perfectly so I'm not worried about it.

13. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

The 6+ lags a bit, but I have quite a few tweaks installed. But I don't think that is the TLC NAND causing the issue, but more so the lack of RAM.

Other than that, both phones seem to function fine.

The 6 when it blue screened was right after I jailbroke with Pangu. I did a hard reboot and then about a few minutes later it red screened while in the Facebook app. Hard reboot again and it never did it again. Don't know why it did it or why it all stopped happening after that, as I had my phone for a good month and a half with no issues. Those red/blue screens happened within the first few days of owning the phone.

14. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I think all 6+ users experience slight lag, I think iOS 8 contributes to this as well.

Did for my rMini

15. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

http://www.pgyer.com/tlccheck

Install the app to find out if it is TLC or MLC.

16. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

17. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

It won't install on my phone anymore. I guess you could buy the Phone Doctor app for $0.99; that works as well. I have that one too.

18. thalazy macrumors regular

Was able to install it last night on my new phone. Just tried it again and it won't install.

19. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6+ says available to ship in 3-5 days. If I ordered right now would I get it by Christmas?

20. bizack macrumors 6502

Today I did two tests on my iPhone 6 Plus 128GB (late October build). Test one was to determine TLC or MLC (I built the open source IOKitBrowser on Github and ran that on my device). My device has TLC NAND. Test two (single core results attached) was to determine read/write speeds. You'll see that test two contradicts almost everything reported about TLC NAND.

Attached Files:

• Disk.png
      Disk.png
      File size:
      376.4 KB
      Views:
  21. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Here is the link on how you can find out if you have MLC or TLC. It downloads just fine. Tried it several times with no problems.

Using Safari web browser navigate to Pgyer web site installing IOKITBroswer app, then launch the IOKitBrowser app, follow step by step to open directory:

Root > N61AP > AppleARMPE > arm-io > AppleT7000IO > ans > AppleA7IOPV1 > AppleCSI > asp > ASPStorage

A detailed memory information report appeared.
    default-bits-per-cell = 3 is TLC
    default-bits-per-cell = 2 is MLC
    default-bits-per-cell = 1 is SLC

Attached Files:

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I agree. But most are not having any problems. Just because your iPad does something strange does not mean the memory is bad. People are too quick to jump to conclusions. People who do not have a problem are bing spooked like panicked sheep by threads like this.

23. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Now I'm getting serious jetsam issues but I think it may be Homescreen Designer. Only tweak I have installed recently since these jetsam/resprings issues started. Happening 4 or 5 times a day while the phone is in sleep status.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, I would say chances are slim to none at this point, unless maybe you can get one of the 1 business day options (which brings your chances to just slim).

Your chances might be better at a retail location, maybe. Or you could order now and most likely get it before new years day.

25. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

And apparently I spoke too soon about my "flawless" 6+. Getting resprings left and right all day long due to "jetsam" issues. So I either have a memory leak, or it can't swap/shut down an app to free up memory...