64GB SSD not detected yet 32GB ok?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by user1690, Jan 28, 2014.

1. user1690, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Hey guys!

Bit of an odd problem here, i have a OCZ 32GB SSD drive that i was using in my PM G4 MDD, it works perfect but isnt enough space for me (Roughly 3GB left at any time and cant delete much more) so i decided to get a 64GB. First one i got was a Vertex 4 64GB SSD, this worked for a short while and then decided to not boot anymore. I then bought a Crucial V4 64GB SSD and this isnt detected at all. Here is my setup, any advice/assistance is very much appreciated.

PowerMac G4 MDD - 1.33Ghz Dual Core Processor (Processor is from an Xserve rack)

SATA-IDE Adapter connects the SSD drive to the ATA-100 bus and is in the drive cage just in front of the processor heat sink. Adapter itself is a £5 generic one.

The odd bit? The 64GB SSD drives work perfectly over USB, i am doubting its the SATA-IDE adapter but it does seem likely or is there something i'm missing? The Crucial 64GB SSD has the latest firmware (25) installed. Not sure on the OCZ one because the OCZ Toolbox doesnt detect the drive over USB and the labels dont state its shipped-with firmware revision.

Sidenote: When i say the Vertex 4 SSD decided to not boot anymore, i mean that literally. It would get partway through Verbose and then freeze. (Specifically it stopped at "Got boot device: (Bunch of stuff here)" ) Also, the Vertex 4 wasnt detected in my Dads windows PC at all over USB or even when plugged directly into motherboard SATA ports.

Edit: Ok... slightly more odd... I managed to do a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my 32GB OCZ SSD to the 64GB Crucial V4, i then put the 64GB in the system and it showed when i started the boot manager! ... My excitement was quickly put out when the system booted then froze whenever i went to do anything :(

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You will either fail to boot or have issues if you try to use a SATA III SSD on a PPC Mac. You are running on an IDE bus so you are further complicating the setup.

3. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

I guessed that when the 64GB Vertex 4 stopped working so thats why i got the crucial as its supposedly a SATA II drive, which is what the OCZ 32GB one is and it works great.

Slightly off topic: I'm considering getting a PCI Sata card for this G4, any suggestions? (The Sata card will most likely be for typical mechanical drives)

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The G4s don't have a space limit but rather the SATA III incompatibility. Does an SSD honestly help a G4 that much since it is just an ATA bus?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The SATA III and PowerPC incompatibility is only for some SATA PCI cards and the native SATA bus on G5's. A SATA-PATA adapter will work just fine with a SATA III drive on a PowerPC's PATA bus.

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

My G4 cube showed a marked improvement after installing an OWC Mercury SSD.
    sure it's not he type of gain you see in todays modern hardware, but still any gain is a win.
    XBench disk tests before and after SSD installation,
    56.10 and now 135.18.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is a pretty sizable difference. I do not use SATA cards as I have a G5 but someone who does will probably chime in.

8. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Well if SATA III Devices should work with a SATA-ATA adapter then im not sure why mine arent.

the 32GB SATA II drive works great, system boot is down to less than 30seconds compared to 1min 30, applications launch in 1-2 seconds rather than 15-20seconds.

The OCZ Vertex 4 (SATA III) will boot, but is slower, boot time is nearly 2mins and randomly the drive will dissapear while the system is running from it. Resulting in a total lockup.

The Crucial V4 (SATA II) will boot if i restore my system backup over USB and then install the drive. Same symptoms as the OCZ Vertex 4 however, will boot but will randomly dissapear. (However, if i dont restore the backup over USB first? Drive is never even detected.)

My dad had a 64GB Sandisk that i tried last night, that is also a SATA III and also produces the same symptoms as the other drives.

Whats the compatability like on a G5 system? I found a few on eBay that caught my eye (They are SATA I systems) and i was wondering if i get one i was planning on using one of the 64GB Drives as the main bootup drive and then installing my 2 G4 IDE drives (750GB and 500GB) via a IDE Card?