64gb touch Imminent

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arctic, May 22, 2009.

1. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Or is it?

The rumors of a 32gb iPhone to be announced at WWDC keep popping left and right. Don't you guys think that Apple would never have the touch remain at 32gb if the iPhone gets a capacity bump? I know we won't see a newer generation yet until fall this year but a capacity bump is entirely a possible (last year we saw the first generation touch got a sudden 32gb increase around February).

I've also heard talks that the iPhone treatment at WWDC is just an announcement and wont be hitting shelves til July. If so, I'm hoping for a 64gb iPod touch capacity bump announcement before people get their hands on the third generation iPhone. Although possible, I think it'll look funny that both the touch and iPhone will peak at the same capacity, at least til September.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

they wont announce a capacity bump it will just be in the store one day

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    No, doubling the capacity would definitely get some an announcement and a lot of press.

4. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

Both of you could be right in one form or another. Last year, February 5, the capacity bump of the iPhone/touch didn't get a major event. It was just a small announcement in Apple's page http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/02/05iphoneipodtouch.html for the units to be available immediately. So basically, it was like an overnight surprise.

On the otherhand, with WWDC looming and the iPhone generation change, I'm guessing the touch 64gb bump would just be kinda like a footnote of the iPhone event. Or maybe wont even recieve any form of light until a week or so later we'll see it happen at the Apple store.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I don't know if Apple will do it. But I think it is the next logical step. I figure we will eventually see them go 64GB, then in time 128GB.

6. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

Apple has NEVER released the iPhone and the touch to have equal highest capacities. Some argue about Apple's reasons for this. If the iPhone will recieve 32gb treatment at WWDC, then theoretically the touch will get an increase. Although Apple is always full of surprises and this certainly wont be a first for them to go outside their usual practice if they think there won't be any market repercussions on how the average Joe will choose their toys.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

A total of five product updates doesn't give enough information to assume that such a statement will remain true, especially when one of them didn't really alter the status quo of the topic at hand (2/2008).

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Perhaps, but it doesn't seem like they've ordered any flash chips for these iPod Touch's yet.
    Is it even physically possible?
    That, my friend, is the question.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Isn't it just because there is physically room for 2x16Gb flash chips in the touch and only room for 1x16Gb in the iPhone?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea i mean the gps, receiver, mic, camera,etc all have to fit in pretty mch the same form factor lol

hence the spacial limitations

11. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Eventually we'll get 64 GB. I don't know when, it could really come at anytime.

12. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I just don't see Apple releasing an increased capacity iPod touch until the 3rd gen touch release in September.

With the expected iPhone and Snow Leopard focus at WWDC- they will wait and update in September like normal and will give the press something to talk about then after the onslaught of iPhone/Snow Leopard stories have died down and keep the Apple name in the news.

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I remember paying $700 for a 700mb hard drive several years back. I was sure I'd never run out of file space. We're already carrying more memory around inside even the cheapest MP3 players. At some point we'll have a video record of our entire lives, and everything we ever saw or learned, stored in memory on our iPod.

What will YOU put in your 128gb Touch?

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

September, just like every other iPod launch for the past three years... :confused:

15. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

They will start clearing their stocks with the Back-to-school promotion, and then launch new iPods in Sept to prepare for the Christmas season. Thats how I feel.